O2 told me it will save money while in US if I switch off packet data and use free Wifi instead. Is that just for internet, or can I make local calls in New York or Washington?
    How can I know where Wifi is? Does Galaxy phone have to be turned on?
    10-10-2014 04:44 PM
    O2 told me it will save money while in US if I switch off packet data and use free Wifi instead. Is that just for internet, or can I make local calls in New York or Washington?
    How can I know where Wifi is? Does Galaxy phone have to be turned on?
    You will save money by using wifi data versus mobile while in the US. Ensure your phone is turned on and you can use the various open wifi hotspots within the US. Usually restaurants and fast food (McDonalds, Burger King), coffee shops, all of them have free wifi. So you would simply just need to connect to it.

As for phone calls .. I would check with O2 since I am almost sure it will cost you to make calls .. but using wifi for data will be free.
    10-10-2014 04:46 PM
    Also most large shopping malls have public wifi. Sams Club (a large quantity arm of Walmart) has free wifi in most of their stores.

DON'T connect to a wifi signal that's not clearly meant for public use just because it's not secured. It's both a crime (theft of service) and a civil tort to do that in the US, and internet providers sometimes get VERY vigorous about suing people who do it (and ask for them to be indicted).
    10-11-2014 12:32 AM
    Hi, I'm new to this forum; I just want to say thank you to the replies to my query,

It's nice to get helpful answers.
    10-15-2014 11:46 AM
    Welcome to the forum. It's nice to be able to help you.
    10-15-2014 12:00 PM