We just got a Moto E and have downloaded some apps, only one of which is a large app. We moved all that we could to the 8GB SD card but they also appear in the internal storage and use up almost all of the 2.2 GB that is available. We connected the phone to the computer and looked on the phone storage for the large files but could not find them. No more apps can be downloaded. Not sure what to do. Is this a problem with many Moto E's?
    10-12-2014 01:54 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Moving apps to SD card doesn't move the entire app--a substantial portion of it usually has to remain in Internal Storage to function correctly.
    10-13-2014 01:23 AM
    Just logged in, not sure how all this works.
    Anyway, I know that a small amount from each app is stored on the phone memory -I've used phones like this before, but it is the entire app that I am dealing with. For example, Asphalt 8 is about 1.6 GB. When I download it I have the option to move it to the SD card which I then do. I look under the tab that shows what is on the SD card and it says that the entire app (or what of the app should be) is installed on the SD card. I then look under the tab that shows how much of the phone's memory of 2.2 GB is used up. It shows that Asphalt 8 is fully on the phone memory and is clearly taking up too much space. This happens for all the apps I download and I know that they can be moved over.
    10-19-2014 07:28 PM
    Could you post the screenshots of your Settings>Apps screens that show the Asphalt 8 storage information, as well as the list of apps stored on Phone Storage and those on SD?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-central.html
    10-19-2014 08:00 PM
    Android looks for apps on internal storage, so if you move the app to external storage (in whole or in part), there has to be a link (called a symlink or symbolic link) in nternal storage to the location of the app on the external SD card. That's what you're seeing - the symlink.

In many cases, however, due to the nature of the code in the app, most of the app has to remain in internal storage (which is why widgets won't run from the SD card), but most of the app is moved anyway. (If little pieces were moved, the symlinks might take more space than you save by moving the pieces - there has to be a symlink to each piece, and a huge piece of code to let Android take advantage of breaking the app up like that.)

Accept the fact that Android is designed to use external storage for data files only (songs, pictures, videos, documents, etc.) and don't think in terms of saving internal space by moving apps to external storage. Android wasn't designed to do that efficiently (and support for it seems to be getting less and less - to the point that it may not be possible, some time in the future, to move any part of any app to external storage).

Don't blame Google, blame "developers" who can't write tight code. The apps I ran on my little Gingerbread phone take up a very small percentage of internal storage on my KitKat phone. Current apps, not all of them, but many of them, are sloppy and huge - because the people creating them don't know how to write small apps. They include huge libraries when a line or two of code (if they could actually write code) would do the job.

That's not saying that some very good programmers aren't writing huge apps - you can't write something that can almost suplicate Microsoft Office in 2MB. But a great many apps could be reduced in size by 90% or more.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-20-2014 01:31 PM
    On my Moto E, why are apps being duplicated on the internal storage and SD card?-screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-01.png
    On my Moto E, why are apps being duplicated on the internal storage and SD card?-screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-06.png
    On my Moto E, why are apps being duplicated on the internal storage and SD card?-screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-17.png
    You can see that it indicates that A8 is on the SD card but it still hogs the phone system memory. This is just one of a couple of large games that I would like to download and normally would be able to if not for this issue. I can tell that this is not normal because I have used phones with SD slots before that had as little as 400mb as their system memory.
    10-20-2014 08:10 PM
    You downloaded the app and you installed it on the SD card, so it'll show in both panels. If it came with the phone (you didn't download it) and moved it to the SD card, it would only show on the SD card panel. If you downloaded it and installed it on internal storage it would show on the download panel but not on the SD card panel.

You're asking why there are 3 back seats in your car. You can see them if you look through the windshield, if you look through the passenger side rear window or through the driver's side rear window. You're getting different views of the same thing - both in the car and on the phone.

Total storage (that last picture doesn't say "internal storage") says that the app itself takes 1.62GB and the data it uses takes 3.08MB.

Some apps can run from the SD card, some can't. It depends on the way the app was written.

Rule of thumb with Android - never buy a phone that has so little storage that you'll need the SD card to store apps. The SD card is designed to store data, not apps. There's no guarantee that any given phone can run apps from the SD card (there is a guarantee that just about all widgets can't run from the SD card, and a widget is an app), or that any given app can run from it on a phone that can run apps from it.
    10-20-2014 11:12 PM
    The bottom line is that Asphalt 8 is only storing about 3 MB on the SD card--that's the extent of "moving to SD" that it can do.
    10-20-2014 11:48 PM
    I'm no newbie to Android. Although I'm not a developer or programmer, I know my way around it very well and Iknow how it should work. I'm actually trying to help 3 other people set up their Moto E's and all of them are having the same problem. As I said before, I have had several other Android phones in the past that had very little internal storage and they each were able to download games like asphalt 7, Real Racing 3(which is about 2 GB), and several other relatively hefty games that were downloaded directly to the SD card. Take the Sony Xperia Play (the one with the slide out gamepad) for example. That was an Android phone dedicated to gaming and it had about 400MB of internal storage but large games were downloaded and installed on the SD card. My other phones worked like this as well. We also tested Real Racing 3, which on other phones goes right to the SD card, and we got the same results. The Motos are on Republic Wireless. Should I contact them? There's no reason that a phone like the Moto E shouldn't be able to store a couple of large games if phones from 3 or 4 years ago could.

-One other note:
    The SD card is a class 4. Motorola recommends a class 6 or better. Is this that important or could this be the source of the problem?
    10-21-2014 01:22 PM