Why are my photos taking up so much memory on my Moto X?

A

AC Question

Moto X - Photos taking up memory

My wife had a Moto X, photos are taking up 6.8GB of memory. Yeah she takes a lot of photos. That being said how can I reduce the load? I wonder if some of the apps are duplicating the photos? I know that Google+ Auto Backup does not take up memory space for photos but Gallery is.

Any ideas for freeing up more space for her?
Can I delete the Gallery and run photos straight to the Google+ photo app?

Just trying to think up ideas to free up space so she stops getting alerts like this. I am on the Nexus 5 and I never have this issue.

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X - Photos taking up memory

See what else is using memory. If taking photographs is really important, maybe she could uninstall some apps that she doesn't use, or remove music from the phone. Or, maybe even lower the quality of the images so they take up less room. It may just be a good idea to backup her photos to your computer and start fresh.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X - Photos taking up memory

Gallery doesn't take up any space (except the space for the app itself) - it just displays pictures Media Scan (which runs any time you make a change to a media file) finds. If you move all the picture files (/Pictures and /DCIM) to the SD card, you'll free up space. (Copy them first. If the copy fails you haven't lost the pictures, the way you would if a move failed. After the copy is successful [you'll see that Gallery sees 2 of each picture], delete them in internal storage.)

You con't have to keep all the pictures on the phone. Copy them to a laptop or desktop and you can delete anything from the phone that you don't need there every day. (A picture of your baby is nice to carry with you, but you don't need a picture of how to get to your main water shutoff valve every day.)