I am a concerned father with a teenage son. He has a Nexus 5 (I think smartphones have a lot of really great features). However, I am worried about him accessing inappropriate content on his phone--not just x-rated content, but other provocative material as well. He has asked for help with this because he has struggled in the past.

We have found that AppLock worked great on older versions of Android because it allowed us to require a passcode for any apps that provide direct internet access. However, his new Nexus 5 has Android 4.4 (KitKat) which comes with Google Search and Google Now built-in. Even if I turn off Google Now and block access to settings, it seems there is no way to stop him using the search on the home screen. What do we do?
    10-12-2014 10:46 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, you can't disable Google Search in the Settings>Apps menu, probably since Google Search is so integrated into everything. You could try looking for an app similar to Kids Place--or I suppose you could even use it for him, even though it's intended more for small children. It's an alternate launcher that allows you to select which apps can be accessible, and prevents the child from being able to control any system settings. You can set a PIN that is required to make any changes or to exit to the stock launcher. I believe there's also a setting to have it automatically start on powering on, so that he wouldn't be able to get out of it by rebooting.
    10-13-2014 12:12 AM