Hey everyone! To give a little background info I have been using apple phones for about 6 years. I went on vacation this summer and needed a phone that was unlocked so I could use oversees. While hesitant at first I ended up deciding to buy an s4. I have not looked back since and absolutely fell in love with it. Since then I have decided to actually stay with my s4 and just use it here now in the good ol' US of A. I plan on getting the note 4 in a month or so. I am sick of apples shenanigans.

I do however need help updating my phone. The s4 I have was originally for verizon and I am using it on AT&T. Its currently using android version 4.3. I would like to update but every time I go to Settings>About Phone>Software update I get this message "Service Unavailable: Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later."

This happen to me while overseas as well so its not just an AT&T issue. Any ideas? thanks again for the help
    10-13-2014 08:41 AM
    Welcome to the forums. This is probably because of the fact that it was on Verizon, now on a different carrier. I can easily tell you how to update it, but I am not sure if the device will stay unlocked to AT&T.
    10-13-2014 08:45 AM
    So if I upgrade I might lose my unlock?
    10-13-2014 08:50 AM
    So if I upgrade I might lose my unlock?
    Possibly. I am really not sure.

4.3 isn't a bad OS version to be stuck on indefinately, and in your case, you are looking at getting a new phone in a few months, which will be on some variant of 4.4.

Edit: The S4 is upgradeable to 4.4.2. The Note should have 4.4.4, If it were me, I would honestly wait.
    10-13-2014 08:56 AM
    Yea you have a point I definitely do not want to lose the unlock. I did not know upgrading would risk that. Im better off just waiting. Thanks for the help
    10-13-2014 08:59 AM
    Yea you have a point I definitely do not want to lose the unlock. I did not know upgrading would risk that. Im better off just waiting. Thanks for the help
    Since you are here, you can introduce yourself (make a new thread) here: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

And you can check out other parts of the forum:
    your current: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    and planned devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    the lounge where other subjects are talked about: The Android Central Lounge - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

And some moderate reading on being new to Android: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...id-2014-a.html

Any questions, we will all try to help as much as possible.
    10-13-2014 09:04 AM
    Thanks for the help and I definitely will!
    10-13-2014 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the help and I definitely will!
    No sweat. If you would like, after you get the Note 4, I can try to help you update the S4 and we can test if the unlock stick afterwards.
    10-13-2014 09:13 AM
    I am in the same situation I think. I didn't have to unlock the s4 Verizon to work with att. Just had to change the network type and apn settings. I'd love to know how to update from 4.4 to the latest os whatever that might be. Are we on lollipop 5.0 now? Thanks in advance.
    02-27-2015 09:28 PM