How does Airplane mode work?

A

AC Question

I am going to France in just a week.

If I understood correctly the "Airplane mode and WIFI mode", turning ON airplane mode will block off any communications whatever they are. However, if I turn on the WIFI, while still on airplane mode, I will be able to use internet and read my mails. What about giving and/or receiving calls ? I have a Galaxy s4.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: I am going to France in just a week.

That's what I do going abroad and works fine. Normal WiFi access without mobile (calls, SMS or data).

If you go for a long time you could try buying a prepaid sim card over there. There are inexpensive and easy to have mobile data on the go.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Ooops. Just forgot about your question. To make and receive calls just check with your carrier about network availability in France and roaming prices (not cheap).

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Groove IP is an app in the Playstore that allows you to get a phone number (will be a new number), and make calls over Wi-Fi. There are probably other similar apps. Turn on Airplane Mode, turn Mobile data off, turn off Wi-Fi and use Groove IP or something similar to make your calls over Wi-Fi while traveling.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Or airplane mode on, wifi on and use Google Voice for phone calls. (The call will go internet to Google, then to a normal phone line to the person you're calling. It's like mobile VoIP.)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Voip wise I recommend you Viber. Works great and now it includes video calls. Much better than Skype. Just make sure that the people you're going to call install it as well to make free calls and texting.

I've got family in three different countries and believe me, Viber is just great.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Google Voice or Groove IP do not require the other user to have an app installed, like Viper. You just make phone like it's a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance