Is there an FM receiver for the Android?

A

AC Question

FM receiver in android?

I want to know whether these is any FM receiver in android so that I can listen to FM stations. I am not looking for any online radio stations. I want to know whether android can work like a FM radio.

If it is possible, then the antenna for reception is embedded in the phone or is it the headset that works as an antenna?

I believe that there is no AM reception for the android. Am I right?

It would be helpful if someone could reply me asap.

Thanks in advance.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Which Android phone are you looking at? Some have an FM radio, some don't. All the ones I've seen require you to have headphones plugged in to use as an aerial, and I haven't seen any with an AM radio.

Posted via Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: FM receiver in android?

The device needs to have certain hardware capabilities in order to support the FM reception. For example, my old HTC Thunderbolt supported FM reception (with headphones plugged in as noted by retsaw) but my Moto X does NOT support it. The answer is hardware-dependent, not OS-dependent.

It actually looks like the 2014 Moto G DOES support FM radio...

deerajs

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for you help.

I have one more doubt in my mind. I heard that there is no APIs for FM in android. I heard this from a friend of mine who is a developer. Can u guys please confirm this....?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are none - hardware doesn't use APIs, An FM radio is just another audio source. (If your friend is a real developer - someone who can write an app in Java using just a legal pad and a pencil - he's kind of pulling your leg. There's no earphone API in any phone either, but they all support earphones. Not everything needs an API. If he's the kind of "developer" who uses an app to write apps (by dragging controls to a skeleton), he just doesn't understand what APIs are and how they work.