Is it possible to block my stolen Galaxy S3 PAYG handset that has an expired SIM?

David Campbell9

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3 on contract, and a couple of years later switched it to a PAYG SIM. I didn't use it for a while and subsequently the number elapsed. I was keeping the handset as a spare, but it has now been stolen. Is there any way of blocking the IMEI number so it can't be used? I tried contacting O2 but they couldn't help. Thanks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand that. If either you or they know what the IMEI is, why would they not do so? What reason did they give?
If you have the IMEI, go to the police with it.

Well, welcome to AC, at any rate.

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Evidently it's different in the UK than it is in the US. Here, not only will your carrier not accept that IMEI any more, no carrier will accept that IMEI. Once reported stolen, a phone is virtually useless (except as an mp3 player or wifi device). Even if you find it later and try to get it off the list, it's very difficult. They err on the side of making stolen phones worthless (and stealing them pretty worthless too).

Maybe talk to your MP's office (or however these things are done there) and give them the idea to pass a law making it mandatory for cellphone companies to do something similar.

David Campbell9

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
When I spoke to O2 they said they need the SIM serial number before they can do anything. I don't have that, so seems I'm snookered. I don't get it either. But like your idea of going to the police. Maybe they will be more helpful.
Many thanks.