Why am I repeatedly receiving the msg Unable to send document, file too large.. ?

jagerwebb

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
SIII - Repeatedly receiving msg "Unable to send document, file too large...." Killing my data plan!

I have a shared data plan with my husband and receive Verizon message that my 8GB is almost used up! Found out it was my phone. They (Verizon) cleaned up some stuff, my pics was using data plan to upload to my Google account. Still had to increase my data plan to 10 GB before the end date of usage. My battery kept running down very quickly too. That has improved a bit however I keep getting a random message "Unable to send document, file too large..." and it mentions something about make sure it's below so many MB but it flashes too fast for me to take a screen print or write down. I usually get this when I check my phone first thing in the morning or if I'm writing a text msg. I've since deleted all of my conversations and I'm still getting the message. Any thoughts anyone? Tech at Verizon swore a soft reset will solve the problem...not! Thank you.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: SIII - Repeatedly receiving msg "Unable to send document, file too large...." Killing my data p

I have a shared data plan with my husband and receive Verizon message that my 8GB is almost used up! Found out it was my phone. They (Verizon) cleaned up some stuff, my pics was using data plan to upload to my Google account. Still had to increase my data plan to 10 GB before the end date of usage. My battery kept running down very quickly too. That has improved a bit however I keep getting a random message "Unable to send document, file too large..." and it mentions something about make sure it's below so many MB but it flashes too fast for me to take a screen print or write down. I usually get this when I check my phone first thing in the morning or if I'm writing a text msg. I've since deleted all of my conversations and I'm still getting the message. Any thoughts anyone? Tech at Verizon swore a soft reset will solve the problem...not! Thank you.

What do your husband say to your phone using all the data? :p

Anyway try do boot into recovery and "Wipe cache" it will not delete anything you get there by turning it off and holding volume down and home and power and you navigate with power button and volume.

jagerwebb

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: SIII - Repeatedly receiving msg "Unable to send document, file too large...." Killing my data p

Thanks for your response, however I don't understand the instructions. Do I turn off phone, then once it's off I press volume down, home and power at the same time? Tried that and received a warning msg, a BIG yellow warning icon and something about the changing the OS.:confused:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Volume up, not volume down. Otherwise you're correct. (Volume up is for uploading something to the phone. It's used for flashing ROMs, etc. Volume down is the recovery mode, which has a menu, with Clear cache (or some equivalent, depending on the manufacturer) on it.)

You can do the same thing by going to Setup/General/Storage, finding the "Cached data" line and pressing it. (Wait until the amount of cached data changes - it will be a lot smaller.)

I think you may have another problem, though, like you tried to send someone a picture, and it's larger than Verizon allows, which is 1.2MB. The picture will keep trying to send, keep failing, and using data each time. You may have to open your text app in Application manager and "Clear data" to stop that..

(Verizon tech support is pretty good, but level 1 - what you get if you call them - is pretty much "look up the question and read the answer to the customer". If you bring the phone into a Verizon company store that has a repair facility (hidden in the back somewhere, usually), those are actual technicians, one of whom who'd probably have pushed a few buttons and cleared the problem for you in 30 seconds.)

jagerwebb

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for your response. I did go the Verizon store twice! :) First time she took the phone into the back room. Second time the tech came out and spent about 20 to 30 mins on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong. They cleared the Cached data etc. It was on the 2nd visit that the tech swore that the soft reset will get rid of the msg about unable to send document. She took the battery out, the other person had done that the day before too. I did have a doc in my Kindle, a novella that an author sent me....I deleted that from my device today. I have been monitoring the data as it was reset on the 13th and it seems low so far. I will go into the store again this afternoon and see if I can get a new SIM card. My husband had to switch phones with me earlier this year due to his work email....when we got these phones I was the smart one and got the S4....he insisted on the SIII now I'm stuck for another year...arrrgh! Thanks again!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The S4 is a good phone. Some limitations aren't with the phone, they're with the carrier or with the industry. (For instance, no matter what you or the carrier do, a single text message, in our alphabet, is limited to 160 characters [it's 140 octets, or 8-bit blocks, but a character in our alphabet is 7 bits, so 140*8/7=160. You can send a long text, but it's either sent as an MMS [a file with the text in it, that the recipient's text app shows as a text] or as separate 160 character texts, which the recipient's app shows as a single text. They chose to use the pocket pager protocol for texts and now they're stuck with it.)

Your problem seems to have been an attachment - somewhere - that was over 1.2MB. That's Verizon's choice. (You can always upload a file to a file sharing site, then just text the person a link to the file. I've downloaded files over 2GB that way.) Most problems have solutions, even if you have to burn the box before you start to think, forget about thinking outside it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac