Ok, so I'm planning to get a tablet (preferably android) but I don't know much about this.

So originally I was planning to get a microsoft surface pro 2 or 3 but I heard that the windows app store is really bad and doesn't have much to offer but i've also heard that it's really good because it can pretty much do whaterver a laptop can do and also has that clip on keyboard because I want to use it for entertainment purposes (like watching movies, surfing the net and playing games) as well as typing up word documents, opening emails and pretty much school work related stuff.

Will an android tablet be able to do this? Because I'm not sure if word documents or emails containing them will be compatible or if there is a substitute app I can use. I still want a tablet I can use for school as well as entertainment purposes.

Also i wanted to know, does a tablet store its apps and media together in its memory? Because with my phone (I know I'm getting a bit off topic) it has 32 gb of memory and its not expandable but i thought it was enough and i was wrong because that 32 gb was only for media like photos, songs, movies and not for apps. So i only had about 2gb of space for apps on my phone and I was wondering if tablets will work the same way.

I know this was a long question but any help will be greatly appreciated because I'm pretty much hopeless with this stuff.
    10-16-2014 05:50 AM
    In my opinion, an Android tablet would not be suitable as a singular device for school work. They're great for playing games, communicating with people and media consumption but I think you'll find them somewhat lacking still in the productivity apps department. Sure, Google has Docs and other productivity apps that link in with Google Drive but I don't think they'll come anywhere near what you can get on a Windows computer when it comes to the capabilities of the app.

If you need a single device, I'd even maybe shy away from a Surface and look at a Lenovo Yoga, it's much more like a laptop but also has tablet functionality.

If you decide on an Android tablet anyway, look at the Samsung Galaxy Note tablets. They include the S-pen and also have a micro-SD card slot for storage expansion.
    Eddie Liew likes this.
    10-16-2014 06:51 AM
    A tablet with a lot of internal storage and a slot for external storage and the ability to do OTG (it stands for "on the go") would allow you (with the right app - the paid version of Office Suite, for one) would allow you to create and modify (as well as read) Office documents. Emails are the same on any device (or should be - I have a filter in my email program that permanently deletes any email with an HTML tag as soon as it receives it - the program can display HTML, but no one I want to read an email from would use HTML in a text protocol), other than that they can be in different languages, and even use different alphabets. Any email program on any device should be able to handle standard (SMTP, POP3 and IMAP) email. Exchange is another matter - many apps can handle it, some can't. (Microsoft and Apple - each living in its own world, that's different than the real one.)

With OTG, you can get an OTG adapter (for about $2 - no need to spend more, it's a plug, a jack and a wire) and plug in a USB keyboard - full size, portable, roll-up - any USB keyboard. Or a USB mouse. So with OTG and Bluetooth, you can use a keyboard and mouse (one on OTG, one on Bluetooth) on the tablet. (I do that on my 17" laptop - I can't stand current laptop keyboards or touchpads. Full size old-fashioned loud IBM-type keyboard and wireless mouse.)

I also like the S-pen. I use a Note 3, which uses it, and with my fat fingers I need it sometimes. (And, when mirroring the phone to a TV screen, it's mandatory if you don't want to have to keep looking down at the phone.)
    Eddie Liew likes this.
    10-16-2014 03:43 PM