It's time to upgrade my phone can anyone help me decide?

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Time to upgrade, but I need help deciding.

Hello everyone. I've been using the same phone for a couple years now and it's about time to upgrade. My Galaxy Nexus is getting very sluggish and the battery lasts only a couple hours, with minimal use. So it's time for something new. I'm on verizon (and would like to stay on Verizon, as much as I dislike the options they give me), and I have an upgrade available. I use my phone moderately throughout the day, mostly for browsing news/social media (facebook, email, reddit, etc). I play a few games on it, but that's not very important. Important features are an excellent battery and a good camera, along with a medium size (4.6" - 5.2" max). So here are my thoughts on the options available:

It seems that all the new phones for this quarter have been annouced, but I'm a little disappointed in my new options.

1. Nexus 6: Looks good, but it's far too big. I'd like to stick with something around 4.7"-5", but a little bigger (xperia 5.2") would be fine. The 6" of the Nexus is just a bit much though, so I'll pass here.

2. Galaxy Alpha: This seems like it's just a downgraded version of the S5. Honestly, I'm not sure who they were targeting with this one. They already have an S5 mini, and the hardware/battery just seems worse than the S5. The battery is a big turn off on this one, but maybe some of you can convice me that it's a good phone?

3. Xperia Z3v: This is the biggest disappointment. The Z3 seems perfect, but the Verizon version, from what I've read, seems more like a Z2.5; it's got the upgraded processor, but basically everything else seems to be from the Z2. I'll definitely wait to hear more official details on this one, but I'm not happy about what I've seen so far.

Those are the big three this quarter, and none seem very exciting. The last option I'm considering is the S5. I feel kind of bad picking up a last season phone after I've been waiting for this season's releases, but it seems better than the alpha. I'm also concerned about the many gripes people have with Samsung bloatware/touchwiz, but I'm not sure how bad that is in reality.

So, some extra input would be really helpful. What do you guys think about the current mid-sized phones on the market? Thanks for reading.

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Time to upgrade, but I need help deciding.

What about either Moto X? 2013 or 2014? The 2014 is only 5.2"

Good point, I hadn't really considered the Moto X. Looks like the camera/battery on the S5 beat out the MotoX, but the Moto is a bit faster and has a cleaner Android UI. I suppose I really have to decide on the Android experience I'm looking for, but the features in TouchWiz don't seem too bad to me (even though it gets a lot of hate)... Thanks for the suggestion.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

And be careful with Samsung and Verizon. The bootloader is probably locked on any 4.3 or later Samsung on Verizon (if that matters to you).

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Hello everyone. I've been using the same phone for a couple years now and it's about time to upgrade. My Galaxy Nexus is getting very sluggish and the battery lasts only a couple hours, with minimal use. So it's time for something new. I'm on verizon (and would like to stay on Verizon, as much as I dislike the options they give me), and I have an upgrade available. I use my phone moderately throughout the day, mostly for browsing news/social media (facebook, email, reddit, etc). I play a few games on it, but that's not very important. Important features are an excellent battery and a good camera, along with a medium size (4.6" - 5.2" max). So here are my thoughts on the options available:

It seems that all the new phones for this quarter have been annouced, but I'm a little disappointed in my new options.

1. Nexus 6: Looks good, but it's far too big. I'd like to stick with something around 4.7"-5", but a little bigger (xperia 5.2") would be fine. The 6" of the Nexus is just a bit much though, so I'll pass here.

2. Galaxy Alpha: This seems like it's just a downgraded version of the S5. Honestly, I'm not sure who they were targeting with this one. They already have an S5 mini, and the hardware/battery just seems worse than the S5. The battery is a big turn off on this one, but maybe some of you can convice me that it's a good phone?

3. Xperia Z3v: This is the biggest disappointment. The Z3 seems perfect, but the Verizon version, from what I've read, seems more like a Z2.5; it's got the upgraded processor, but basically everything else seems to be from the Z2. I'll definitely wait to hear more official details on this one, but I'm not happy about what I've seen so far.

Those are the big three this quarter, and none seem very exciting. The last option I'm considering is the S5. I feel kind of bad picking up a last season phone after I've been waiting for this season's releases, but it seems better than the alpha. I'm also concerned about the many gripes people have with Samsung bloatware/touchwiz, but I'm not sure how bad that is in reality.

So, some extra input would be really helpful. What do you guys think about the current mid-sized phones on the market? Thanks for reading.

If you can live without the latest and greatest than I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's a great phone and it will be cheaper because of the S5 being released. I think the Sony Xperia phones are pretty sharp. I have the S5 and I'm really happy with it. But.. like I said... the Samsung Galaxy S4 can be had for pretty cheap now.
I use Nova Prime Launcher with my S5 and it's pretty snappy... very smooth.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Good point, I hadn't really considered the Moto X. Looks like the camera/battery on the S5 beat out the MotoX, but the Moto is a bit faster and has a cleaner Android UI. I suppose I really have to decide on the Android experience I'm looking for, but the features in TouchWiz don't seem too bad to me (even though it gets a lot of hate)... Thanks for the suggestion.

I would go into your carrier store and just start playing with devices. You won't really know until you try them.

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

And be careful with Samsung and Verizon. The bootloader is probably locked on any 4.3 or later Samsung on Verizon (if that matters to you).

That's true. I haven't decided if I want to root yet, but that's good to keep in mind.

If you can live without the latest and greatest than I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's a great phone and it will be cheaper because of the S5 being released. I think the Sony Xperia phones are pretty sharp. I have the S5 and I'm really happy with it. But.. like I said... the Samsung Galaxy S4 can be had for pretty cheap now.
I use Nova Prime Launcher with my S5 and it's pretty snappy... very smooth.

I would go with the S5 if if anything. I'm just not sure how it stacks up to/what other opinions are vs something like the Alpha or Z3. Glad you're happy with the S5 though. I might just end up with that.

I would go into your carrier store and just start playing with devices. You won't really know until you try them.

Yeah, that's definitely the next thing to do. I'm not sure if carriers have some of the newer phones though (Z3v, etc) but I can wait a week or two.

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

And another important question. I've heard rumors about the Galaxy A5/A7 phones, but I'm not really sure what these are. Is there another Samsung announcement I should be waiting for? Is the new Alpha that just came out the A3?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

And another important question. I've heard rumors about the Galaxy A5/A7 phones, but I'm not really sure what these are. Is there another Samsung announcement I should be waiting for? Is the new Alpha that just came out the A3?
As far as I know, all major flagships have been announced or released.

Sent from an AOSP M8