Why does my HTC One (M7?) come on to the AT&T screen, then cut off?

supergirl89

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I was going to text someone and my phone said "unfortunately messages has stopped working" next was "unfortunately google has stopped working" then the rest of my apps/everything on my phone started saying it wasn't working. I thought the best thing to do would be to cut it off then back on. After having turned it off, now all it does is come on to the AT&T white screen, stays on for about a min, then goes off. It's been turning itself on and off again for the last 30-45 mins. I have no idea what to do at this point. I've reset it using the power button and the vol button with no success. Please, could someone help me....

supergirl89

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Not gonna lie, I love HTC. I've had the vivid, the HTC One X+, and now the HTC One m7, but I am not tech savvy. I have no idea what a bootloader is. I did try the recovery though, didn't work. At this point it's hooked up to the charger. Sitting. Just sitting. Good thing is, it will charge. At least I think that's a good thing.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just need to figure out if I can take it to AT&T and them actually be able to help, or am I going to be looking for a new phone when I go?
This should be able to be fixed. AT&T should be able to help, but I would call your local store to see if they are able to do this.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to the local store and ask where the nearest Device Support Center is. (There's usually one within easy driving distance - it may even be in your local store.)

Can they fix it? If there's a hardware problem, and it's not under warranty, it'll be expensive, but just about anything can be fixed if you replace all the bad parts. But from what you describe, it sounds like a ROM reflash would fix it. Under warranty it's free. I don't know how much they'd charge if it's not under warranty, but ask them to tell you wat's wrong and how much it will cost to fix before they do anything. Most tecs at most DSCs I've been to are knowledgeable and nice people. The only problem is that you have to have patience - they may have only 2 techs and 5 people ahead of you, and it may be a couple of hours before they can get to you. (That's one reason I overpay to stay on AT&T - I value good tech support. I've been on their end [I used to own a few cellphone stores], so I know the difference.)

supergirl89

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I understand having to be patient. I've been in customer service most of my life. I went to AT&T. The guy didn't even know how to cut my phone on when it won't come on with just the power button ( power button+ volume button). Told me "there's nothing we can do for you, we really don't do much tech work here". I get that, I really do. Thing that got me was, I called beforehand to see if they could do more than I had already done. I was told yes, bring it in and they would have their "techs" look at it. I took time from work to go see, they ended up looking at the phone, doing nothing to it, telling me they could put me on the phone with tech support. In the end, I did a factory reset, still nothing. It's still only coming up to the AT&T screen. Called a local tech store, guy said pretty much the same thing you did. I can pay more than the phone is worth to fix it or pay 240 and use my insurance to get a new one. I also have an upgrade in 4 months. I'm using my old HTC One right now. Just don't know what I need to do further. I hate having to spend such money on a phone again and something happen another year down the road....

supergirl89

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Took it to the local store, couldn't help. Put me on the phone with "tech support". Couldn't help. Said at this point I can send it in and use my insurance to probably end up with a new phone for $240, or wait until I get my upgrade in a few months. Thanks tho!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
$240 for a replacement or probably about $200 for an upgrade. let's see ... ice cream or having my arm cut off - difficult choice, right? (That's the reason I keep my 10 year old flip phone working. You have a phone to use for 4 months. It won't be that painful.)

I'm surprised, though, that the people at a DSC didn't know any more than they seemed to. At least they could have told you what they
d charge to reflash the ROM - that might have fixed it. (It's what I would have done if you had brought it into my store - $X if the reflash works [probably something around $50, depending on how complex flashing an M7 is], my sympathies, but no charge, if it doesn't. Unfortunately, I'm retired and sold my last store a while ago, even if you lived close enough to make it possible.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21