HTC one m8 battery worse than older iPhone 5

FognaciousQuash

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got the HTC one m8 a few days ago. The battery is awful, I tested the exact same games and videos on both my HTC and iPhone 5 of 2 years ago and the iPhone beat it.. I have airplane mode and power saver mode enabled yet can't play pixel dungeon for 10 minutes without the battery dropping 4-5 ℅ . I've read reviews saying the one m8's battery was great but I think mine is defective, should I return it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To get a better idea of your overall battery life, do the following. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In general, though, if you could build identical phones, one running iOS and one running the same level of Android, and use batteries of the same capacity, the iPhone would be better on battery usage. That's what happens when one company totally controls all the hardware and all the software. The other side of that is that you're very limited in what you can do with the phone that they've decided to not let you do. With Android there's an app or hack for almost everything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I notice that you didn't start from 100% battery, judging from that graph. It looks more like 90%, since it says 25% left, and GSam says you've used 65%.

Regardless, that actually looks pretty good. By extrapolation, you're actually on track for 6 hours and 20 minutes, if you actually continued using the phone as you have been, right down to 0% battery. I calculated that as follows: 275 minutes/x = 0.65/0.90, where 275 minutes is how long your screen has been on so far, and x is the total screen time for the entire 90% charge. It would presumably be closer to 7 hours if you started from 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance