I accidentally accepted the installation of ATT Software Update Malware (from a banner ad). I was able to pull the battery in time to stop the install. However, everytime I go to start the phone the install beings again. It is installing through boot recovery. I tried to stop the install by holding volume up and the power button to get into the recovery menu, but it's not working. Anyone have any idea of how I can stop this installation?

Samsung Galaxy S4
    10-21-2014 09:41 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have?
    10-21-2014 10:55 AM
    Samsung Galaxy s4
    10-21-2014 12:12 PM
    Are you able to get into Recovery and wipe the cache partition using these steps? Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support
    10-21-2014 01:22 PM
    It sounds as if the malware is installing to the boot partition, not the cache partition.

First, try to let it finish and see if you can then restart normally. Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and let it run. If that doesn't fix things, back up all your apps and data (including videos, music ... anything you haven't already backed up - although everything should be backed up, at least once a week), then go to your AT&T store and ask them where the nearest Device Support Center is. (It might even be in that store.) They can reflash your phone, which will restore it to out-of-the-box condition. (You'll have to set up your accounts, restore all your apps and data, etc.).
    10-21-2014 01:24 PM
    I let it run and install. Then ran Malwarebytes, didn't find anything. Is there any way of checking if this was really malware or a legit ATT Software update? I didn't think ATT updates would run through boot recovery.
    10-21-2014 02:39 PM
    I let it run and install. Then ran Malwarebytes, didn't find anything. Is there any way of checking if this was really malware or a legit ATT Software update? I didn't think ATT updates would run through boot recovery.
    If the actual phone did not notify you of an update/ or you got the update from the AT&T website, then it's probably not legit. I suggest you try what Rukbat says and take it to a repair/support center.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL
    10-21-2014 03:44 PM
    The real AT&T updates run through the updater. I don't know what you mean by "installing through boot recovery", but AT&T doesn't run updates through the recovery (at least not that I've seen so far). And they don't send updates by making you click on a banner - your phone will pop up a notice that there's an update available and give you the choice of now or later. (Eventually, if you keep saying later, it'll install without asking you. They don't want to support firmware that's no longer current, and I don't blame them.)
    10-21-2014 05:06 PM