Why won't my phone turn on?

Shiko Hayashi

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Phone wont turn on

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. For the last month or so, my phone has been sitting on a charger with the original battery within it. Whenever i got to turn it on, nothing happens. Whenever i take the backing off, it vibrates but does nothing. When i take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates, shows the Samsung logo, and then goes back tk a black screen. Sometimes, when i hold the power button or just tap it, the grey battery sign will pop up. However, the typical green charging battery doesnt follow suit and it goes back to a black screen. I have tried rebooting it to safe mode, but i cannot even turn it on. I have tried resetting it, but once again, it doesnt do anything. I think there was only one time when it actually made it to the warning screen for a few seconds then when right back to a black screen. Figuring it was a battery issue, i ordered a new batter, a Lenmar, and then replaced it and put it back on the charger. Nothing happened. The results were the same. I tried taking the back off and cleaning out the charger port as well as the power button with compressed air and some toothpicks, but it did nothing.
What i would like to know, is what is wrong with my phone, and is there any possible way to fix it without buying a new one? I do not want to remove the power button, because i know that that will take away certain functions that i need; i.e. the ability to use it without a charger. I've had several software issues with Samsung Galaxies before, and I'm tired of having to replace my phone. Any help would be fantastic and, to be honest, downright miraculous.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Phone wont turn on

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. For the last month or so, my phone has been sitting on a charger with the original battery within it. Whenever i got to turn it on, nothing happens. Whenever i take the backing off, it vibrates but does nothing. When i take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates, shows the Samsung logo, and then goes back tk a black screen....

Hello! Welcome to Android Central! I would suggest trying an actual OEM battery instead of a third party battery. It might also be the actual charging host or even the cable you use to charge the phone. Try exchanging these to see if these may be the culprits.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone wont turn on

This is the type of problem that can only be diagnosed on a test bench. Anything else (sorry, wizzrah) is guesswork. It could be the motherboard, it could be the firmware, it could be a lot of things. It's probably not the battery, though. Even if the battery was sitting on the shelf for a few months before you got it, it should have had enough charge to run the phone for an hour or so.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. For the last month or so, my phone has been sitting on a charger with the original battery within it. Whenever i got to turn it on, nothing happens. Whenever i take the backing off, it vibrates but does nothing. When i take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates, shows the Samsung logo, and then goes back tk a black screen. Sometimes, when i hold the power button or just tap it, the grey battery sign will pop up. However, the typical green charging battery doesnt follow suit and it goes back to a black screen. I have tried rebooting it to safe mode, but i cannot even turn it on. I have tried resetting it, but once again, it doesnt do anything. I think there was only one time when it actually made it to the warning screen for a few seconds then when right back to a black screen. Figuring it was a battery issue, i ordered a new batter, a Lenmar, and then replaced it and put it back on the charger. Nothing happened. The results were the same. I tried taking the back off and cleaning out the charger port as well as the power button with compressed air and some toothpicks, but it did nothing.
What i would like to know, is what is wrong with my phone, and is there any possible way to fix it without buying a new one? I do not want to remove the power button, because i know that that will take away certain functions that i need; i.e. the ability to use it without a charger. I've had several software issues with Samsung Galaxies before, and I'm tired of having to replace my phone. Any help would be fantastic and, to be honest, downright miraculous.

Have you ever gotten the phone wet? My GS3 does the same thing every once in a while do to getting wet a bunch of times. When it does it, I bend the screen slightly by grabbing it at opposite corners. Nothing major, just a slight bend. I don't know if that will work for you, but it works on my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever gotten the phone wet?
Excellent diagnosis! That's almost always the cause of that problem. That, and not cleaning the phone soon enough. (Wet Phone, if you ever get a phone wet again. But read it before it happens - the time it takes to read it is usually too long for the wet phone. Or, as I sometimes say, if your pants fall down at the same time your phone falls into water, take the battery out of the phone before you pull your pants up.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney