s111 hotspot

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a GSM T sim card for a wireless only plan. I have an unlocked AT&T s3 on Straight Talk. My phone is hotspot capable but as we all know Straight Talk says no-no to that. So can I take the GSMT SIM card put it in my s3 and change the settings or something like that so I can use it in the evening for a hotspot for our tablet and laptop and still be able to use my s3 as a phone during the day?

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Presumably you mean 'can' in the sense of, Would it be permissible? Given the penalties for doing things not allowed in the terms of the contract I would check with the carrier first.

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In order to use a computer getting its internet service via wifi as a wifi hotspot, you need 2 wifi adapters in the computer - one to talk to your router, the other to talk to your tablet and laptop. (Technically it's not connecting to a router, it's connecting to an access point - which are in the same box in home equipment, which is why we say "connect to the router". In TMobile's case, they're probably different pieces of equipment, but electrically it's the same thing.)

However, since ST doesn't allow tethering (that's what using a hotspot is called - you tether the laptop to the phone's wifi connection), you'd have to be close enough to a wifi router for the S3 to pick up the wifi signal. That would mean that your laptop and tablet are close enough to pick it up too, so you don't need a tether. (As far as I understand it, the thing that connects to TMobile's wifi is the login - and you can use the login on any wifi-enabled computer, whether it's a phone, tablet or laptop.)

As for what belodion was talking about, either ST or TMobile will cancel your account if they catch you tethering and it's a violation of your contract. In the case of ST, all you lose is the balance of what you've paid so far (the rest of the current card) and your phone number. In TMobile's case, if you're still on contract, you also pay the early termination fee. They canceled, but you breached the contract, so in effect you caused the early termination.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish