First if this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize.
    I bought an iDROID iKON Z5. It's a good phone for the price. I just can't seem to root it. If anyone could help it would be awesome. I'm including a picture of the information of the phone.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my IKON Z5 using Tapatalk 2
    Need help please...-uploadfromtaptalk1413948083808.jpg
    10-21-2014 10:21 PM
    You'll probably have to wait until someone finds an exploit in the 3.4.67 kernel to allow it to be rooted. Most people who write root programs to root at the Android level only write for the more common phones. (Towel Root is the latest one that roots using a Linux exploit, but that was patched in 4.4.4.)
    srgordo likes this.
    10-21-2014 11:34 PM
    Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. I guess I'll just check in from time to time.

10-22-2014 02:17 AM
    You and everyone else. So far, there's a root method for some Samsung phones - that throws a flag on the play by announcing that the device has been modified every time you restart. Not the way to go, IMO. (Which is why I don't have the updater in my phone. I'll update AFTER a good root exploit is found.)
    srgordo likes this.
    10-22-2014 05:30 PM
    Sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the information.

10-22-2014 09:20 PM
    I wonder if I could contact a Dev on here or XDA and offer to pay them to work on getting root for my phone? Like I wouldn't mind paying someone to find an exploit so I could get this rooted. Let's see, who can I ask?....

10-23-2014 10:21 PM
    I wonder if I could contact a Dev on here or XDA and offer to pay them to work on getting root for my phone?
    For the Note 3 on 4.4.2, there was a fund that reached over $1,000 IIRC, yet it still took a long time for someone to come up with Towel Root. It's not the money - there are plenty of capable developers probably working on the problem as we speak, it's the millions of lines of code involved that make it take a long time. (I once wrote a database that was data sensitive - it would crash on a particular data entry to a particular field. It took dozens of people trying to crash it predictably 6 months to find out how to make it crash at will - before that it just seemed to crash randomly. [Fixing it after that took about 5 minutes.])

Someone will come up with a root method for 4.4.4, or they'll give up once 5.0 is released to a lot of phones, and they'll work on rooting 5.0. (Or someone will come out with a pure Linux ROM that will run Android apps, include su and a superuser app, and we won't need to root our phones - the ROM will come that way, like Linux always does.)
    srgordo likes this.
    10-24-2014 05:59 PM
    Thanks again for your response and the information you provided it's useful so thanks a lot I'll just keep looking like I said.

And really the only reason I'm looking to root it is so I can get rid of the ads unless there's a way to use like an adAway program that doesn't require root but I don't know if there is or not.

10-25-2014 12:12 AM
    Unfortunately I'm a new member so I'm unable to post links.
    My wasted effort, gone in a fail post. lol
    Well here it is again in a snapshot:

Go to youtube, search under "root MTK china phone ITXtutor":
    watch the video with the "How to Root every MTK China Phone - Readback With SP-Flash - Root + CWM on INEW V8 [HD]" title.
    Download the following programs and files from the video description:
    1. ADB USB Driver
    2. MKT Droid Tools
    3. SP Flash Tool
    4. SuperSU.zip (do not unzip, you will copy this to your phone or sd card to install on your phone)

update: Yes that phone is made in china. I also own and rooted my iDroid Ikon Z5 using this method. (did it last week)
    12-03-2014 09:19 AM
    And the easiest (and least phone-intensive) way to keep ads away is to find a good list of spam sites on the web, then find your hosts file (in the phone) and add that list to hosts. (If the list has no addresses on it, just links, add 127.0.0.1 in front of each link.) That sends your phone to itself for the ad. I stopped running Adblock Plus, because it's one of the addons I had running when Firefox started going nuts, and just added everything to hosts manually. No ads, no craziness. (Yes, it takes root to do it in Linux or Android.)
    12-03-2014 03:36 PM
    (Yes, it takes root to do it in Linux or Android.)
    Yup, right on. That's the problem the original poster has/had.
    The Ikon Z5 isn't rooted, hopefully my post helped someone in the right direction.
    It worked for me. Now i'm trying to figure out how to move apps to my SD card... =/
    For whatever reason, I don't even have the "Move to SD Card" option.
    12-03-2014 04:11 PM
    Now i'm trying to figure out how to move apps to my SD card... =/
    For whatever reason, I don't even have the "Move to SD Card" option.
    If the developer knows what he's doing, and his app won't work properly from the SD card (many won't - it depends on a few things), he'll set it up so it can't be moved. Because moving it wouldn't do you any good.

Remember, the original idea with Android was to provide an external SD card for data storage - it was never intended as app storage. If you want your apps on the SD card, learn enough Linux to modify fstab so that the SD card gets mounted as internal storage.
    12-04-2014 01:57 AM
    learn enough Linux to modify fstab so that the SD card gets mounted as internal storage.
    How do I go about this? I haven't written Linux codes but I've done plenty of Windows applications and web development. I'm confortable with making setting changes, just need to be steered in the right direction.
    12-05-2014 06:11 PM
    You need to learn the Linux boot process. (There are explanations and tutorials allover the web. During the boot process, various storage devices are mounted to different mount points. Basically what you want to do is either switch internal and external app storage or just mount the SD card as app storage and lose the internal storage. (If you have 1GB internal and a 128GB card, the extra GB is hardly worth even writing a line of code to keep.)

But it's not something I can give you a step by step on here for. Clear a small partition on a computer's drive, install Linux (Mint is probably the easiest for a Windows user) and, as you read, play with it, with the goal of mounting a USB SD card or memory stick as the main storage partition. If you mess up, all you have to do is pop the CD into the computer again, reinstall Linux, get back to just before you messed up and try it differently. You can't brick the computer, you can only brick Linux and you can reinstall it. (You could try it on the phone, but if you brick that, you'd better hope that you're set up to reflash the whole phone, and you've voided the warranty.)

Take it slow, read tutorials. And you'll be learning something new, which is always a good thing.
    12-06-2014 12:09 AM