Why isn't my unlocked Mega 6.3 enabling teather?

helpme1001

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
why isnt my unlocked mega 6.3 enabling tether

Ok so I have a i527 ( att) galaxy mega 6.3. It is unlocked and used through straight talk with att towers. I plan on rooting my phone once i fully understand the process. My question is whenever i try to switch on tethering wifi hotspot it says please wait while verifying .... then " there Is a temporary network problem that prevents the enablements of this function. Please try again later" I have done research for 5 hours now and not one person has posted that message. They all report it saying contact att or sim car not recognized. Is this a result of not having it rooted and having att bloatware? Or is this straight talk disabling it? I have an application that says att hot spot ( which ive tried stopping does nothing) if I root it do I just need to delete that app to enable tethering? I don't understand what is causing this " network problem" I hate to root my unlocked phone and be at risk for bricking it if there's another setting im overlooking? Any explanations and advice will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: why isnt my unlocked mega 6.3 enabling tether

This issue may be related to the network provider not allowing the hotspot feature from working on the device without the appropriate plan. You can try using FoxFi (free in the play store) to see if that will work for you. Take a look at the app, since there might be specific versions based on carrier or device model.

Let us know how it goes.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why isnt my unlocked mega 6.3 enabling tether

Straight Talk's TOS specifically forbids tethering. Even if you find an app that will let you connect to wifi through the phone, if they catch you, they cancel your service with no refund (and you lose your number).

helpme1001

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I tried foxfi and pdanet+ ( carrier blocks that app so I didnt technically try it) foxfi for att tries to switch on tethering which causes that message to pop up. If I root my phone will that allow me access to whatever is blocking it from being enabled? I found a rooting app called kingo, I believe. it looks very simple idk if it truly roots the phone though... seems too easy. Ive been doing lots of research on how to root but I am still a newbie on the topic.

thanks for the help

Also for future reference to anyone else I am fully aware of straight talks contract. I will only be using this with a tablet in my car to play music. I wont be using loads of data im not concerned but I appreciate the warning.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If I root my phone will that allow me access to whatever is blocking it from being enabled?
Since it's being blocked at AT&T's end, no.

I found a rooting app called kingo, I believe. it looks very simple idk if it truly roots the phone though... seems too easy. Ive been doing lots of research on how to root but I am still a newbie on the topic.
Kingo works fine up to Android 4.3. (It will just tell you it can't root if you're running KitKat. Towel Root works on 4.4.1 and 4.4.2. There may be a rooting method for the Mega on 4.4.4, but as of now, it'll probably be something that triggers the Knox flag, permanently voiding the warranty. (If Knox isn't triggered, you can at least reflash a stock ROM, but once it's triggered there's nothing you can do to "untrigger" it.)

I will only be using this with a tablet in my car to play music. I wont be using loads of data.
If you're downloading music, you're tethering, and if ST catches you - even downloading a few K - kiss your account and your phone number goodbye. They're not people you can reason with, they play by rules that they haven't even thought of yet.

helpme1001

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Since it's being blocked at AT&T's end, no.

Kingo works fine up to Android 4.3. (It will just tell you it can't root if you're running KitKat. Towel Root works on 4.4.1 and 4.4.2. There may be a rooting method for the Mega on 4.4.4, but as of now, it'll probably be something that triggers the Knox flag, permanently voiding the warranty. (If Knox isn't triggered, you can at least reflash a stock ROM, but once it's triggered there's nothing you can do to "untrigger" it.)

If you're downloading music, you're tethering, and if ST catches you - even downloading a few K - kiss your account and your phone number goodbye. They're not people you can reason with, they play by rules that they haven't even thought of yet.

Ive done research on many people who have rooted their phones only for this purpose and they somehow bypass it. The odd thing is the message that pops up on my phone does not mention att as it did in their case. Im not sure if it's att or straight talk causing this problem. The phone is unlocked too. Im trying to figure out if itll work for me as it did for them after rooting.

I never updated my mega, it's still running on 4.2 im assuming itll be okay to use then?

Ive owned several phones through straight talk and have been caught tethering, if you are polite and tell them you lost your phone and someone did it theyll reconnect. The key is to not take blame, act respectful and if all else fails hang up and try a representative who seems cheerful. Works for me.. but its difficult to get caught anyway, unless you're using an actual straight talk phone. They have something that detects it instantly.

Thanks for all the responses

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
but its difficult to get caught anyway
If your browser says it's Safari 5 (a common use for getting the desktop site in phone browsers) or it's a Windows browser, you're caught. It's that simple. Downloading an exe file? Pretty much caught. And American Movil is funny = sometimes they just cancel your account as soon as they have any reason they can use. (Before they went to "unlimited data" [it's unlimited to about 2GB, then it's slower than dial-up in some cases, and completely unlimited in others], using 101MB in one day, and nothing for the rest of the month,
could get your account canceled.)

When I use ST I don't play games - they play by rules they haven't made up yet. I heard of one person whose account got canceled for "commercial use" - he ordered a pizza on the phone.

helpme1001

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Damn thats crazy.. though, Ive done all of those things and never got deactivated lol. Only time i did was from a st phone. I never get throttled after 3 gb either ( they give 3 gb now instead of 2 fyi) ive used 25 gb in one month and nothing.. it's understandable why you don't take any chances, but im on this forum posting this thread here to do it...... not here asking whether I should be afraid of straight talk. It is unrelated to my question and purpose for being here. If you have any useful advice about my question im all ears, and its appreciated. Otherwise, I can go to straight talks fine print for their ' rules and agreements' . Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie