Is there an SMS client that uses data only...that does not need to be downloaded by all recipients?

Looking for an alternative. Something that does not show up on the phone bill as Txt ?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-23-2014 08:25 AM
    Kik (not phone number based though), WhatsApp, Viber, Textra, google voice, google hangouts. I hope this helped you!
    10-23-2014 09:04 AM
    SMS is voice, so there can't be an SMS client that uses data, any more than there can be a canary that's a fish.

Current versions of Android have Hangouts, so that would work, but it's not data, it goes via the voice channel. Since it's SMS, it bills as text.

Any app that sends messages by internet (IOW, doesn't bill as text) requires that the recipient have an app that can receive the data. The first 3 apps that predator mentioned require the same app on the other end. Textra and hangouts are SMS (billed as text).

Google Voice is about the only one that will send an SMS via data. (You'll receive it as a notice that you have a voicemail.) Note that if your GV number is forwarded to one or more cellphones, any texts received on your GV number will be sent to the phone(s) as texts, and you'll be billed for them if you're billed for incoming texts.

Email is pretty fast these days, so you can "chat" using email, which is data, and no one needs any special email app - any email app will work (even on iPhones - Apple didn't invent its own email, the way it invented its own texting.)
    10-23-2014 09:31 AM
    Thanks for the replies... I've been using G voice, it does what I need in a crude way... I wondered if there was a GV type protocol that showed reciepints my actual carrier phome number. I can see where this may be a legal problem...

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-23-2014 10:09 AM