I have a samsung galaxy s5 and I am looking for a way to mirror what is on my phone to my tv. I need to do this at a location where there is no wifi and the phone will be using the phone carriers lte internet. basically I want to watch hulu and use my cable tv app at my cabin on my tv there where there is no wifi. Most everything I have seen requires wifi to accomplish this. I do have an hdmi port on the tv. Any suggestions? I have tried the cable from the phone to the hdmi port and that did not work.
    10-24-2014 03:18 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You need an MHL cable to connect the phone directly to an HDMI-capable TV or monitor. Search Amazon or your store of choice for "S5 MHL cable."
    10-24-2014 05:43 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I previously purchased the mhl cable from Radio Shack and they were not very helpful with the how to's of it. I hooked the cable to my phone and to the tv and it did not work. Does that cable only work with certain tv's that support mhl or was there a setting on the phone that I had to turn on? I ended up returning it to radio shack because I couldnt get it to work.
    10-25-2014 02:19 AM
    I suppose it's possible that certain MHL cables aren't compatible with the S5. Did you follow the steps here? How to Mirror your Samsung Galaxy S4/S5 disp… | Samsung Galaxy S 4 i9500, i9505, i9505G, i9506 | XDA Forums
    10-25-2014 01:44 PM
    Samsung uses 3 different microUSB connectors. For data transfer and charging it makes no difference, but for MHL you need a cable specifically made for the S5. (It includes the S3/S4/S5/Note 2/Note 3/Note 8.0/Note 10.1, and I would assume the Note 4 uses the same connector.) There's one on Amazon for $16. There are others. Search s5 mhl

Chromecast would also work if you had a spare wifi access point (or router). You don't need an internet connection for it, just the Chromecast adapter and the Chromecast app.
    10-25-2014 02:32 PM
    When you use the MHL cable you must connect the USB cable to power the MHL cable. It works on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    04-27-2015 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I previously purchased the mhl cable from Radio Shack and they were not very helpful with the how to's of it. I hooked the cable to my phone and to the tv and it did not work. Does that cable only work with certain tv's that support mhl or was there a setting on the phone that I had to turn on? I ended up returning it to radio shack because I couldnt get it to work.
    This is the same situation that I have remote cabin but a good phone signal I also got an MHL from Radio Shack it did not work. this is the same situation that I have. A remote cabin with good phone signal I also got mhl from radio shack it did not work. I had to get a Samsung MHL adapter. I received mine from Best Buy but it has to be a Samsung. Also take care not to mix up your charger cables or charger that plug into the MHL adapter sometimes they do not work when switched out and you'll play hell trying to find out which one works again. I can now stream Netflix and Amazon and Hulu from my smartphone to my TV through the MHL adapter from Samsung.
    Now I wish I could find a way to do it without the cable to the TV and without Wi-Fi or Internet if anybody has any suggestions on this I'd be glad to hear them.
    08-26-2015 09:00 PM