My old Motorola Defy is completely dead and won't power up whatever I try. I badly need my Contact list for my new Moto G. Has anyone any ideas please how I can get this information transferred?

I am in my 60's and not very techy......so any replies in simple language would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    10-26-2014 05:15 AM
    My old Motorola Defy is completely dead and won't power up whatever I try. I badly need my Contact list for my new Moto G. Has anyone any ideas please how I can get this information transferred?

I am in my 60's and not very techy......so any replies in simple language would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    When you sign in with your Google account on your new phone the contact list will automatically download to your new phone. This process can take a couple hours.
    Misty2014 likes this.
    10-26-2014 05:27 AM
    Hi Greg.....I really appreciate your reply, thank you.

Can I just ask.....and I apologise now if my question is going to sound stupid.....I had to get a different Sim card for my new moto g as the old moto Defy one didn't fit. Will that make any difference? Also sadly for me, getting old and out of touch with things, I don't think I have a Google account. When I bought the Moto Defy three years ago it said something about things being backed up on "Moto Blur" if I remember rightly, but Moto Blur doesn't seem to get mentioned these days. I am not enjoying getting old and not understanding technology!
    10-26-2014 08:41 AM
    Hello again Greg....I have just read my post, and think maybe I didn't explain myself too well. When I said I had had to get a new Sim, what I was getting at was....won't all my stuff be stored on the old Sim that I can't use, and thus transfer? Also is the Google account my only option would you know?

Many thanks.
    10-26-2014 08:45 AM
    i wish you were right, and I know this post is 2 years old, but I have been trying for 30 hours straight to retrieve contacts from "bricked" rooted phone to new samsung. NOTHING WORKS!!! thatI HAVE found. I treid to find an app to download/uplaod via pc, I have tried my google drive (obviously first) only 31 of 400 contacts are even in new contact list, and they will not sync with ANY sms . Chump, Google sms, mighty text (i was thinking that if I linked thro pc, would get contacts from cell more easily)

OK, if anyone, please I am begging, PLease tell me how to move all of my contacts, sms, recent phone log? if I am getting demanding? to new I will. I did a google contacts refresh for a week ago, when I knew old phone working perfectly...nothing
    I apologize for misspellings, I am soooo tired/stressed/frustrated by this crud. Verizon told me that contacts were NOT stored in SIM, but on google. Since I have gmail, I figured it would be fine. I WANT TO STRANGLE that little monster!!!
    PLEASE, please explain how to get old info from LG android, rooted, bricked, still turns on....to new samsung not rooted, has google , google sms, google drive.
    Thanks! I will send pictures of my dogs as a gesture of gratitude!

I truly hope a nice person can even see my post, as so old. I have looked at every google search page I need a manicure from all of this typing!!
    Thank you very much for resolving this issue. I do not want to be rude, but PLEASE do not send a story about how it happened to you, sorry...wi OUT solution...sorr

OK, cross fingers!
    02-07-2016 10:20 PM
    It's not clear how much functionality the old LG phone still has. You say it's rooted and 'bricked' but turns on.
    What happens then?
    What do you see?
    Will it responded to touches or button pushes at all?
    Please give details or no one can help.

From what you say you must not have been saving your contacts to your Google account. If you were they would have been safely backed up and accessible in Gmail contacts. You must have been saving them as Phone contacts, which are only in the phone memory and do not sync to Google.

If the phone is truly bricked, which means no way exists to restore functionality, or if a reset is required to fix it, which erases your data, and if your contacts exist only on the phone and if you have no other backups...well sorry, but in that case your contacts are gone. The only chance of recovering them is getting access to the contacts on the old phone without a reset.

I have to say I don't feel optimistic. But give more details about the phone's condition and maybe someone can help.
    02-08-2016 12:46 AM
    If you can see any files on the phone at all - even via USB, the contacts are in a VCF file.
    If you backed up before rooting, someone here might be able to tell you how to get those files from the backup since it doesn't look like you are going to a new rooted phone.

I've had the VCF file on all phones. Samsung, LG, Chinese
    02-08-2016 08:05 AM