Can anyone help me decide what phone I should get?

pedronev925

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
unsure of what phone to get

hi all, I am looking to purchase my mum a new phone. over the years her hearing has deteriorated and she now struggles to hear her little old nokia ring. I need a phone with a loud ringer, this is a must! the phone hasn't got to have an amazing spec sheet as she really only uses her phone for the occasional text message and phone calls for emergency but I don't want to get her just some old piece of junk. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated whether its from personal experience or what not. looking to spend around £130.

Thanks all

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: unsure of what phone to get

Ringtone volume is often more dependent on the ringtone than the device. Sometimes the ringtones that come with the phone aren't that loud--you can often find louder ones on ringtones sites like Zedge, or you can create your own.

I would suggest the Moto G, which is remarkably cheap for the quality of phone that you get. It gets universal praise as an excellent value.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Use any Android phone. Use Audacity to edit the ringtone file she chooses on your PC to increase the volume. (Too much and it'll distort - there's only a tiny little speaker in there.) I find that the "old phone ringer" type of ringtone works best for those of us who are old and have lost a lot of hearing. It's mid-range in frequency and pretty noticeable. (It's why Bell chose it as the sound that the old mechanical ringer made.) I'm attaching one to this post for you.

pedronev925

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

thanks for your reply, have tested some loud ringtones out on my G3 from zedge which are remarkably loud but that's being played off a 2w speaker if im not mistaken, just wasn't sure if/ how much of it came down to the speaker on another phone... I have read a lot of praise on the moto G so may end up with this, a friend suggested the nexus 4 too. any opinion which is best out of these 2?

appreciate your response,

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus 4 is getting a little old, although people I know who have it still find it a good device. It is also still slated to get Lollipop as soon as it is released. The specs comparison measures up favorably to the Moto G: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...-G-2014,Motorola-Moto-G/phones/7531,8898,8208 The main issue I would consider is that any Nexus 4 you find will be used or refurbished, so there is a bit of a risk you're taking in terms of quality. You should be able to find the Moto G brand new, and the price would still be comparable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance