How do I recover the pictures on my Sony Ericsson Neo?

SpaceFrogZA

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Sony Ericsson Neo Storage Problem

Hi All,

This is my first post and i hope you all are well.

Would someone please help me?

My mom has a Sony Ericsson Neo and all her pics from her phone have gone missing, but just the ones she took with her camera.

I plugged the phone into the pc but it doesnt seem to be picking the phone up as removable storage like a memory stick. It only picks the phone up as a media device.

I have tried everything and cant seem to fix it. IF i double click on the media device it takes me inte the phone and i can see that only an sd car is visible.

Any help would be welcome .

The Phone is on android 4.0.4

Thank you in advance

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sony Ericsson Neo Storage Problem

Welcome to Android Central! Do you know if the photos were being stored on Internal Storage or the external SD card? If there's an SD card inserted, unmount it (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Use the computer's file browser to look for the photos.

When you connect the phone to your computer via USB, swipe down the notification shade--do you see the USB connection notification? If so, tap it. What options are there? Not all phones have the USB Mass Storage option (it's usually older phones, although your mother's certainly could have it, considering it's on 4.0.4).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Try using a file manager (MyFiles, ES File Explorer and Total Commander are all good apps - MyFiles is probably easier to use for this problem) and look on the phone for a DCIM folder (All/Devicestorage in MyFiles). In there should be a Camera folder. The pictures should be in there. If they are, press each one (to get a check mark beside it), then Menu/Copy and copy to the SD card.

Usually, though, turning the phone off and back on, or even restarting it, should bring back all the pictures on the phone and SD card. (Starting, either restarting or from off, runs Media Manager, which builds the database of all media files on the phone.)

SpaceFrogZA

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Thats the thing what is confusing me. I am pretty sure that it had internal and sd card storage. I read some things that they removed the mass storage option for ICS. The last time i played around with her phone she was on GingerB and since then they had a probelm with the phone and it updated to ICS.

When she plugs the phone into the pc the only thing that shows on the screen is the option to install pc companion becuase it wasnts to install it to the pc from her phone as the software sits on the phone.

How difficult is it to roll back to GingerB? will the momry card get wiped if doing so?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Is there a reason you don't want to install PC Companion? That software might help manage your phone a little more easily.

Otherwise, when you get that prompt for PC Companion, reject it. After waiting a few seconds, you should still see the phone appear in Windows Explorer, either listed as an actual device (if connected via MTP) or as one or two external drives (if connected via USB Mass Storage). If the latest update got rid of USB Mass Storage, you should still be able to connect via MTP and see the device in Windows Explorer.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

And reflashing a ROM (which would be what you'd do to "roll back to" GB) would wipe all internal memory. (The newer versions of Android have an internal partition labeled sdcard, which (in Linux terms) is sd0 and an extSDCard, which is the external removable card (sd1). If the phone connects as MTP you should see both - the internal "card" is called Phone and the external one is called Card. They're both on a "drive" with the name of the phone.