Switch to andriod for tablet? Which one?

Mathperson

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I currently have an iPad 2 and would really like an upgrade. I have liked iOS but I now know that andriods features and customizability make it the better choice for a tweaker like me. I do have some worries:
1) My device not getting the latest updates (not being support quickly)
2) Bloatware (I know nexus is stock)
3) Lack of apps designed for tablets
4) UI can freeze a little from what I've seen (might just be samsung Bloatware though)
What I like to do:
1) Gaming, casual to hardcore shooters
2) Productivity, fast device for word and google docs
3) Media, just browsing the web and watching a movie here and there
4) Test apps I'm developing, no more begging dad to let me run apps on his device!

What I'm looking at:
Nexus 9:
Pro: Fast (the Tegra K1 looks real nice), stock andriod (updates come quick and easy rooting)
Cons: Smallish screen ( I'd preference 9.5-10.5)

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro or normal
Pro: Big screen, decent preformancd
Con: Touchwiz, nuff' said

SHIELD
Pro: Insanely fast for price, game streaming
Con: Small, really small

iPad Air 1:
Pro: Fast, simple, lots if apps
Con: iOS and spendy

That's all but I'm totally open for recommendations. So should I switch to Andriod? And if so, what tablet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Nexus 9 has an 8.9" screen, so it probably won't be that noticeably smaller than a 10" tablet. You'll probably be so blown away by its QHD screen and fast performance that you won't care!

Regarding the issue of "tablet apps"--this is a bit of a non-issue that is often mentioned by Android detractors, kind of like fragmentation. Android apps are designed to scale to different sized and shaped screens. Most game designers these days design their interfaces to look good and work well on small and large screens. Google has been pushing developers pretty hard this past year or so to adhere to certain design principles to make apps look and function better, and you can really see the improvement when comparing to apps from maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

As for the freeze or lag issue, that just doesn't happen on Nexus devices, primarily because of the lack of any bloated skin.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa