Why isn't my computer detecting my phone when plugged in with a USB?

katsuowota

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 4 - USB Connection problems

hey yo guys,

I'm trying to put a recovery on my android (which shouldn't be a problem because i've done it before), I plug in my nexus 4, it works properly as expected, then I restart my phone, after doing that, my computer won't detect my phone at all, my phone IS charging however.

I try to re-connect my phone by unplugging and plugging the USB out and in my computer (USB 2.0). it keeps not detecting it, not even in device manager (neither in hidden devices). sometimes it DOES 'recognize' my phone but ever half a second it disconnects and connects, making it hard to impossible to even go to any of the properties of the device.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on my notebook, my Nexus 4 has Paranoid Android 4.6-BETA1 installed

hope anyone can help me!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 - USB Connection problems

You could have an intermittent cable or an intermittent connection on one of the data pins on the microUSB connector in the phone. (That connect and disconnect routine is usually a hardware problem.) You can also remove the driver for the Nexus and see Windows 8.1 - Install unsigned drivers before installing it again.

katsuowota

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 - USB Connection problems

just tried that again, removed all the drivers with USBDeview, then installed them according to the nexus root toolkit

1.) Disable USB debugging
2.) Plug your device in via USB.
3.) Disable MTP mode
4.) Re-enable MTP mode
5.) Re-enable USB debugging
6.) Check to see if you can access your devices internal storage through explorer using the button below.
7.) Install Google Driver Solution
8.) Run the Full Driver Test

so just before step 9 it all worked properly, my phone was connecting and disconnecting when I plugged/unplugged the cable. But when I ran the phone shut down as planned, ran my phone in fastboot mode and the started android again. I had to fill in my encryption password and it started up normally...
Except that now again my phone was completely ignored by my computer again...

do you think it really might be a hardware problem? Even if it did work properly just before that step 9? Might it be the encryption?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87