Why has my time and date jumped months ahead or behind?

typoninja

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Time and date way off on my Android phone.

Phone details:

Model number: LG-L38C
Android version: 2.3.6
Baseband version: MSM7625-0-AA
Kernel version: 2.6.38.6-perf+
Build number: GRK39F
Software version: L38CV10b

My phone has worked perfectly fine for the past 7 or so months I've had it. This morning I went to check my messages and it was completely normal; a couple of hours later I went to check again and noticed that the time was behind by an hour and it kept saying that a message I had sent hours before had been sent only 1 minute ago.

Restarted my phone and the date suddenly changed to December, 2014, and while I was looking through my settings to see if I could find a way to either sync or manually set the date and time, my phone decided that it is now January 5, 1980, and the time is several hours off. On top of that, kik -- one of the few things I use my phone for -- is no longer sending or receiving messages, nor is my email syncing.

When I go to my Date & time settings, the only options are to use 24-hour format, and to select date format. There is absolutely nothing there for me to manually set the time, or anything else. I have looked everywhere in my settings, and can find nothing like that.

I have done everything I can think to do. I have reset the phone, I have tried being connected to and disconnected from wi-fi, I have removed the battery, I have done a factory reset. Nothing has worked.

I can't think of anything I could possibly have done to cause this. I only use my phone to make the occasional call, to communicate with my SO and friends via kik, and to check my email on the go. I haven't downloaded any other apps on my phone; I made zero changes to anything before this happened.

If there is anything else anyone can think of for me to try here, please let me know.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.☺

This sounds like the basis for a wonderfully intriguing science fiction story....but alas, it's simply reality.
Do you have an SD card in the phone? If corrupt, it may be causing problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The time and date arew obtained from the cell tower the phone is connected to. Your carrier could be "making adjustments" to something, messing up the time the tower is reporting to the phones connected to it. If that;'s the case, it should settle down in a few hours. If not, bring it into the carrier and ask them why it's happening.