Does anyone know of a root method for the LG tribute? Is a fairly new device, I'm not finding anything so far.
    10-30-2014 05:40 PM
    Me neither. I hope there will be soon!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Sweetbsting and Makitez like this.
    11-22-2014 10:01 PM
    One more vote for an LG Tribute root!
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-23-2014 04:37 PM
    Try using the app Stump Root

Posted From my LG G3 Cat. 6
    11-23-2014 05:27 PM
    I tried that. It didn't work. I heard the same from others. :\

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-23-2014 11:33 PM
    Try using the app Stump Root

Posted From my LG G3 Cat. 6
    That didn't work, as the kernel is too new to be supported under Stump currently. I've also tried loads of other one click/exploit solutions, and none of them work. Maybe some kind of manual intervention via adb is needed... I've noticed that the apps that allow an adb window to be viewed during the root process don't show the phone to be fully attached to the PC. LG seems to have locked this one down hard.
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-24-2014 07:13 PM
    That didn't work, as the kernel is too new to be supported under Stump currently. I've also tried loads of other one click/exploit solutions, and none of them work. Maybe some kind of manual intervention via adb is needed... I've noticed that the apps that allow an adb window to be viewed during the root process don't show the phone to be fully attached to the PC. LG seems to have locked this one down hard.
    What other exploits have you tried?
    jholu likes this.
    11-24-2014 07:38 PM
    Is anyone working on anything for this?
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-25-2014 07:14 AM
    Name any one click or exploit out there right now. Take my word for it, THERE ARE NONE THAT WORK. I've gone through at least fifteen different solutions. That's a lot of time spent... Can't be bothered to do more as I'm studying for architecture finals! I don't know anyone that's really doing anything about rooting the tribute. Maybe the stump devs at xda developers... they've gotten enough requests for the tribute.
    FrankEO likes this.
    11-25-2014 08:57 AM
    There has been a lot of requests for this phone on XDA. Hopefully Stump comes through.
    Sweetbsting likes this.
    11-27-2014 08:16 AM
    Maybe some kind of manual intervention via adb is needed.
    Find one and someone will write a shell script to do it. If it can be done manually it can be done by script. If you're comfortable in an adb shell, try to crash Linux so it comes back as root. Then push su to /system and the phone is rooted. The rest is scutwork.

The difficult part is finding an exploit that works, not making it work by using an app.

.. I've noticed that the apps that allow an adb window to be viewed during the root process don't show the phone to be fully attached to the PC. LG seems to have locked this one down hard.
    Probably not as tightly as the AT&T and Verizon Note 3s, though. Totally locked bootloader, so even though they can be rooted (up to 4.4.2, at least, and I'm not updating past that), the only ROMs you can flash are modifications of the stock ROM. And if you goof once there's a "write once" bit that gets set, and shows in the recovery screen, so the warranty is gone.

HTC has the right idea - root it, flash a ROM to it, and if the power switch breaks it's still covered. (If you damage it by rooting or flashing, you're on your own, which I think is fair, but if one of the radios goes bad and the phone is rooted, it's still covered.)
    Pattonfiend67 and FrankEO like this.
    11-27-2014 11:51 AM
    Just bumping this to revive interest.
    Sweetbsting and FrankEO like this.
    12-10-2014 10:10 AM
    Waiting here too...
    Pattonfiend67 likes this.
    12-13-2014 12:46 AM
    +1 for tribute root. There is so much potential with this phone.
    FrankEO and Pattonfiend67 like this.
    12-14-2014 10:04 PM
    I really would like to root this phone but will wait to see if lollipop is coming
    12-17-2014 11:33 PM
    Remember one thing about rooting - it takes an expert analyst going over hundreds of thousands of lines of code to find an exploit to use for rooting. That means that someone who could be earning a quarter of a million dollars a year has to give up months of paid work to do something that would cause a stone to commit suicide from boredom - and for nothing but recognition. And yet people do it.

But don't expect someone to drop everything to study a new update to every phone and find an exploit in a few weeks. Some versions of Android on some phones will never be rooted. Reality has a way of intruding on what people would rather be doing - reality like paying the mortgage, buying food, etc.
    12-18-2014 04:11 PM
    still waiting
    12-27-2014 07:25 PM
    It's still December. Try again in about June. Seriously.
    12-27-2014 08:01 PM
    Man, can't wait for the root to be finished....
    FrankEO and Pattonfiend67 like this.
    01-07-2015 02:08 PM
    ill try learn how to do it in the first place and then ill try to make an exploit for it
    FrankEO likes this.
    01-14-2015 09:17 PM
    Does anyone know of a root method for the LG tribute? Is a fairly new device, I'm not finding anything so far.
    I been beating the crap out of this device I have managed to push su apk using an exploit on my pc but no success ohh cant tell from pc if this is newer suapk ill try that but this is not easy im not sure if anyone remembers lg lucid and sprtd rctnfr exploit but it reboots 3 to 4 times then it works so thats been my angle too
    01-15-2015 01:12 PM
    I been beating the crap out of this device I have managed to push su apk using an exploit on my pc but no success ohh cant tell from pc if this is newer suapk ill try that but this is not easy im not sure if anyone remembers lg lucid and sprtd rctnfr exploit but it reboots 3 to 4 times then it works so thats been my angle too
    I see. Is that how the exploit is spelled? Spent a few minutes on several search engines, and couldn't find anything about that exploit. As for rebooting, I used to have a working Optimus F3 phone (until it overheated to epic proportions ), and had to boot twice to get into CWMT recovery, IIRC. I also do the same thing with my recently rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 tablet. That one has the TeamWin recovery for it, v. 2.8.

I also noticed that the Tribute doesn't have a Download mode on it. I've tried all the button combos, and even tried to see if the LG Flash tool could turn that on via PC. No dice. As for pushing su, tried that via adb through Ubuntu. Can't get the phone in root mode, but I tried.

Speaking of the F3... I miss root so much for a phone, that I'm (semi-seriously) considering getting a decent used one that isn't yet rooted! I'm fairly sure that if I did, it should still run some of the latest games I like, even with the thing at JB 4.1.2. If I do get one, I'll probably leave it stock, and just disable/freeze the bloat I don't use.
    FrankEO likes this.
    01-18-2015 06:26 PM
    Download mode does work. Just hold on to Volume UP, then hook it to a USB cable, then to a PC. The Download prompt comes up. Still haven't seen a flashable BIN type file for the F3. I presume when and if LG ever puts out a BIN file for this model, it can be flashed through the LG Flash Tool for Windows.

Ok, looked it up but it's for the Euro F60: LG F60 Firmware List BOO. Nothing for us in North America...
    02-02-2015 05:35 PM
    Is there a root for the LG Tribute yet?-01.png
    Is there a root for the LG Tribute yet?-02.png
    blog.naver.com/jgkim30/220293414224
    forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/guide-root-method-lg-devices-t3049772
    daffy_duck_nj likes this.
    03-09-2015 08:51 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	166289
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	166290
    blog.naver.com/jgkim30/220293414224
    forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/guide-root-method-lg-devices-t3049772
    Thanks! I got this to work with my Virgin Mobile USA LG Tribute. I even have TWRP installed, which is great as there's no custom ROM or stock firmware file for the Tribute yet.
    03-10-2015 06:41 PM