Nexus 5 On ATT Drops calls if connected to 4G, Anyone else having this problem?

A

AC Question

My Nexus 5 has been dropping all calls immediately upon connecting a call (incoming or outgoing). After calls to google visits to att and another call to google; google stated there has been some reported issues with the nexus 5 and att. Their suggestion was to disabled LTE and only allow 3g on the phone. That then seems to have fixed the problem.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem recently or in the past. I live/work in manhattan, ny, incase this is a local issue.

cseel

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I can tell you about it so far:
  • I am in the Philadelphia area
  • I have a Nexus 5
  • I am on AT&T and have been since I purchased the phone from Google in January
  • Starting last week (maybe the 26th?), I started experiencing the following:
    [*]When I am on a WiFi network (so the phone isn't using the AT&T network for data), calls stay connected just fine
    [*]When I turn off mobile data calls stay connected just fine
    [*]If I try to make any calls while on LTE they drop immediately (sometimes after, sometimes before connecting)
  • AT&T is taking no responsibility whatsoever for the situation which has obviously been created on their side (they said it's my fault for buying a phone directly from Google and not from AT&T)
I am not sure I can wait around for someone to fix this problem. They just sold me on a huge data plan and now have made it so I cannot use that data they sold me. If we can use social media to spread the word, maybe we'll get the attention of someone in marketing at AT&T. After all, AT&T just make this HUGE news blitz about how they'll be one of the only sellers of the Nexus 6...would it be in their best interests to FIX this problem with existing Nexus users on their network or to allow us to VOICE OUR FRUSTRATION WITH AT&T's incompatibility with Nexus phones?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a few posts about this situation, happening with both AT&T and non-AT&T phones, but only in a few markets (mostly in the northeast). Some think it may be due to AT&T's expansion to VoLTE. If it is, we'll just have to wait out the incompetence (you don't break existing things to make improvements).

Nite_Hawk

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 on AT&T calls sometimes will always drop after connecting. I was at the Rahway NJ train station and kept calling a number and as soon as they answered the phone would beep and drop the call. It happened when they called me to. I could not establish a usable call. Powered the phone off and on and it still did it. Only after getting on the train was I able to successfully establish a call.
This has happen a couple of times. Once it starts doing it I can not hold a call. I think moving away from the current cell site solves the problem.
Also I have been playing around with VoIP and have loaded Skype and some other stuff.

Nite_Hawk

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I am able to reproduce this problem in the Rahway, Clark NJ area 100% of the time. If the phone is connected via LTE and a call is initiated, the phone drops to HSPA+ as soon as send is hit. The call starts going through and between 5 to 20 seconds the phone beeps and disconnects. All the signal bars disappear and the phone re-established an LTE connection..
Two things that will work. Turn on the WiFi and connect to an access point. The phone drops out of LTE to 3G and a call can be successfully placed. Or, force the phone into 3G mode and that works to.
This seem to start happening about 3-5 weeks ago.
Not sure if it is a local thing or not, but will be testing it out as I travel around.

Wan Hong

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I am exactly the same issue here from Fort Lee, New Jersey. I spoke to Google representative, but while they have recognized the situation, they did not have clear solution. I guess we just should wait. FYI, at least I they changed my phone as I blamed the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma