I have a Samsung Galaxy S2. it's just over 3 years old. I rooted it in July with ODin and Jeboo Kernel, unlocked it through my carrier in August, and on Wednesday I deleted the dumpstate. After I deleted the dumpstate, everything was fine, in fact it was better than fine cuz I had storage space again and no warning! I used my phone to send emails, message on FB; all was good. That night my phone fell off the bedside table and I when I woke up, it wouldn't turn on. At all. It showed the battery being charged while it was plugged in, but that was it. I took the battery out a few times and finally it turned on, but stayed on the logo screen.

Since then, I've tried a soft and hard boot, no luck. I've taken the SD card out. I can get into download mode, and occasionally get into recovery mode. When I can get to recovery mode, it says I have no file to recover or boot from. I switched batteries with my boyfriend (he has the same phone), and his phone worked with my battery and SD card, but mine did not with his. I have searched and searched, and I have no idea how to fix this problem. I know enough to follow directions, but I'm don't always understand tech-speak...
    10-31-2014 09:58 AM
    I'm the OP. I really need help with this. Even if you think I might've already done what you'd suggest, it's possible I did it wrong lol.

Or if you could tell me whether re-flashing with Jeboo might work or if I need to go back to the official Jellybean? My main concern at this point is recovering my data - pics, contacts, notes, music, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    10-31-2014 04:17 PM
    You really don't need to understand any tech-speak for this one. When it fell, something inside broke. Even if it fell gently onto a plush carpet. That's the first thing that has to be addressed, and you have to find a shop that's not going to do a factory reset before they start working on it. (That would wipe out all your pics, contacts, notes, music, etc.)

There's an old computer saying: Any data not backed up to at least 2 independent destinations (cloud accounts count as destinations) is data you don't need. Backing up should be a religion you practice at least once a week.

If you entered all your contacts as Google contacts (not Device, Phone or SIM contacts), they're at Google Contacts and any phone you set up with your Google account will sync those contacts. As for the rest, if the motherboard doesn't have to be replaced, you'll be able to recover (and back up) everything. If it does - well, that's where all that stuff is, so it's going to a reclamation place without you, along with all your data. (They reclaim all the gold on the board. Even a fraction of an ounce is worth the effort.)

So find a shop you trust and ask for an estimate of how bad the damage is. (You'll probably have to pay something for the time involved in opening the phone and checking it out.)
    10-31-2014 07:57 PM
    I'm hoping that's not the problem. I've dropped this phone so many times, on so many hard surfaces. Figures it would be a carpet that breaks it!
    11-02-2014 01:02 AM