Why aren't my PC or Tab 4 able to see each other when connected by USB?

A

AC Question

Neither my PC or Tab 4 see each other when connected by USB

When I connect the USB cable to my PC nothing happens. I tried downloading Kies which also shows no connection. I've tried connecting to several PCs and none of them shows that the devices are connected. Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Neither my PC or Tab 4 see each other when connected by USB

1) Have you installed the Samsung USB driver on the PC? Without that (you can use Kies to install it) the computer sees an unknown device. No PC that doesn't have the Samsung USB driver will see the phone. You can download the driver by starting at SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.

trefoil

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Thanks very much, but unfortunately that didn't help. I downloaded the USB driver but still nothing happens. I don't know if its because the device I'm connecting is a tablet and not a mobile phone or whether the driver should work for any android device. However, further the problem isn't that it sees an unknown device, but rather that nothing is seen at all by either the PC or the tab 4 (the only thing that happens is a beep from the tablet when I connect it to the PC).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

We don't know what previous post you're referring to, because you're unregistered, and only posting in the Ask a Question forum. Please consider registering on this site so that you can follow up in the same thread to continue the conversation.

I'm assuming you mean that you tried installing the latest drivers, which didn't help. When you plug the device into your computer, do you see a USB connection icon in the tablet's notification bar? If so, swipe down the notification shade and tap the USB icon, and make sure it's set to MTP.

If you don't see any USB notification, then try a different USB cable, because cables can fail. Also try connecting with a different computer. If all of that fails, then it's possible the tablet's microUSB port is faulty.

If you'd like more help, register with Android Central, and reply to this thread. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if its because the device I'm connecting is a tablet and not a mobile phone or whether the driver should work for any android device.
That particular driver should work for any Samsung device.

However, further the problem isn't that it sees an unknown device, but rather that nothing is seen at all by either the PC or the tab 4 (the only thing that happens is a beep from the tablet when I connect it to the PC).
Which means that the data connection from the phone to the PC is being made - the microUSB port and the cable are good. It still sounds like a software problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

He's getting the "connected" tone from the computer, so it's probably a software issue. If the cable were bad, the computer wouldn't see the phone making a connection.

Marvin2Shoes

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Remember it can matter on some computers which USB port you connect to... Try all if necessary. Reboot after device is found so that Samsung driver can be installed for that USB port.

trefoil

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I tried all the ports first thing (on several different PCs), but it didn't make any difference. I know the microUSB port and cable are good, so I thought maybe there is some setting on the Tablet which needs changed, but I have no idea what that might be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante