Thanks very much, but unfortunately that didn't help. I downloaded the USB driver but still nothing happens. I don't know if its because the device I'm connecting is a tablet and not a mobile phone or whether the driver should work for any android device. However, further the problem isn't that it sees an unknown device, but rather that nothing is seen at all by either the PC or the tab 4 (the only thing that happens is a beep from the tablet when I connect it to the PC).
    10-31-2014 03:25 PM
    We don't know what previous post you're referring to, because you're unregistered, and only posting in the Ask a Question forum. Please consider registering on this site so that you can follow up in the same thread to continue the conversation.

I'm assuming you mean that you tried installing the latest drivers, which didn't help. When you plug the device into your computer, do you see a USB connection icon in the tablet's notification bar? If so, swipe down the notification shade and tap the USB icon, and make sure it's set to MTP.

If you don't see any USB notification, then try a different USB cable, because cables can fail. Also try connecting with a different computer. If all of that fails, then it's possible the tablet's microUSB port is faulty.

If you'd like more help, register with Android Central, and reply to this thread. Thanks!
    10-31-2014 07:45 PM
    He's getting the "connected" tone from the computer, so it's probably a software issue. If the cable were bad, the computer wouldn't see the phone making a connection.
    10-31-2014 09:51 PM
    I think this is the thread in question: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask...ected-usb.html
    10-31-2014 10:00 PM
    It is - it's a dupe.
    10-31-2014 11:14 PM
    Actually, it's a continuation of a previous Ask a Question post. Since the OP hasn't registered, he couldn't continue the conversation in the original thread, so instead posted another Ask a Question.
    11-01-2014 12:59 AM