I am possibly moving to an area (rural scotland) with bad mobile coverage and quite slow broadband. I checked today and the download speed is 2.09mbps and the upload is 0.24mbps. Is this fast enough for me to use the wifi from my router to make calls on my blackberry? I would be able to be near to the router to get a good signal from it.

Any help would be great. I don't know anything about this and can't seem to find any info on this on the web.
    10-31-2014 05:13 PM
    Assuming you mean VoIP calls, the audio channel is about 0.048mbps wide (usually referred to as a 56kbps channel), so your bandwidth is fine (as long as not too much more is going on at the time, like downloading a huge file).

The problem is phase jitter - if you have an internet connection with low enough phase jitter, VoIP will work fine. If there's too much phase jitter, it will still work, but it will sound wonky.

You can use MyConnection Server Online Portal to test your VoIP quality (among other tests the site offers). The nearest test server to you would be London. If you get even fair VoIP quality to there, you should have no problem. (I've run VoIP - which has been my standard home phone for quite a few years - when the site said that the quality was fair to poor, and had no problems.)
    10-31-2014 07:43 PM