My normal routine for my Samsung galaxy S3 is to charge it up in the evening, turn it off over night then take it to work. It will drain to about 20% by the time I get home, then I will charge it up again.

However about a month ago it drained all of the power halfway through the day and shut down. Got home and charged it up again, and didn't think any more about it.

Few days later as I was coming out of work the screen started flickering and the phone shut down (it was less than 10% battery). Thought that was odd, but carried on as normal.

A few more days and it does it again. It's now quite common for it to drain to <5% during the day. When it gets low, the screen flickers and the phone freezes.

Today the phone just had it... I had it fully charged up and it was on about 96% when the screen started flickering and it died. It started up automatically but got stuck on the Samsung logo page. Kept rebooting it and it kept doing the same thing. Took the battery out and tried again- still no luck- still getting stuck at the logo.

Left it for a bit, then tried again. It powered up but froze at the lock screen. The battery had dropped to about 16% (from 96%). Went through the process of restarting it and pulling the battery but was having no luck at all. Occasionally it would get to the lock screen, or even past the lock screen, but would freeze up and shut down without fail. It was now saying the battery was on 2%!!!

So I got fed up and chucked it in my bag. I needed it today for something important and as you can imagine I wasn't happy it wasn't working. I turned it on again about half way through the day and it powered up fine, and was now on 38% battery. Screen flickered a bit but it recovered and seemed to be fine. Still draining quite a bit of battery through.

I've got a screenshot of the battery level which I think you guys might like, I'll try and upload it once i've posted this. I'm running android version 4.3 and (as far as I know) haven't updated it for a while.

Anyone know how to fix this? I can't have a phone that does this otherwise I'll have to carry around two phones!

I have heard I can do a factory reset but will I lose everything? If so how can I back it up?

Thanks
    11-03-2014 02:19 PM
    Why is my battery draining so quickly all of a sudden?-2014-11-03-19.15.37.png

Just signed up so I can post this. Here is that screenshot of the battery level. Obviously that gap is where the problem was. Also does it look like it's draining really fast to you?

It was turned off during the middle bit, hence the line is pretty stable.
    11-03-2014 02:23 PM
    Draining the battery down to 20% regularly will give you about 400 charges. If the phone is a little over a year old, the battery has about had it. (If it's older, you got more out of the battery than you paid for.)

If you need 80% of the battery capacity every day, buy a spare battery. For maximum life between new batteries, the battery should be charged at about the 40%-60% level. So use it until it gets down to 60%, switch batteries and that one should be down to about 60% by the time you charge the phone. You can get a wall charger that will charge the phone and the spare battery at the same time for about $3.

Anker sells 2 batteries and a charger for less than twice the price of 1 battery - so the charger doesn't cost them much.
    11-03-2014 03:10 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

The phone is on a 2 year contract so I would expect it to last 2 years at least. What is the point of having a battery that can charge 100% when you can only use 40% of it?!?!

So you think if I buy a new battery it should fix the problem?
    11-03-2014 03:20 PM
    It happened again today. It was at 54% and then the screen flickered and the phone froze. Left it for a while and it just was frozen on the lock screen. Once I restarted it, it said it was on 30% battery.

Here's another image
    Why is my battery draining so quickly all of a sudden?-2014-11-04-17.52.37.png

See to the far right where the battery level drops. I plugged it into the charger after that, hence why it starts to go up.

Before I go any buy another battery, I'd just like to leave this open a bit longer to see if anyone else has experienced it.
    11-04-2014 11:56 AM