I've only had this phone for about 2 months and I must've dropped it on the ground in the mall when I was walking and someone picked it up because when my friend called my phone it didn't ring so someone turned it off. When we searched the places we walked I found my case inside a trashcan near an entrance (so they could've found it outside) ripped off from the flip case. I already asked the security to check the surveillance cameras and they said they couldn't find anyone who might've stolen my phone. I want to know what the thief can do with my phone since it has a pattern lock on it. Will they be able to use it if they just switch the sim card? I'm going to go to a police station tomorrow and ask if they can track it with GPS but will it work if it's not turned on from the phone? Also, do I ask the company i purchased the phone plan to put my imei code on the blacklist since i bought it from Target or do I ask AT&T because that's where the phone was made from?
    11-03-2014 08:07 PM
    Call your carrier now and see if they have anything built in to your phone for tracking. Sorry too say, you must of installed some software that would track and our wipe your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2014 08:23 PM
    If your phone had android device manager activated (this is built into KitKat), then go to your computer and log into android device manager through your google account. If the phone is on, it will locate it and you can lock or wipe it - you don't need to wait for your police visit to try this. Call AT&T - they can block it from working with a new SIM card. I'm not sure what the thief can do to bypass the pattern lock.
    11-03-2014 08:24 PM
    Android Device Manager

The phone can't be located if it's turned off. They've even stopped doing that on TV shows (the same shows that can listen in on your calls and read your texts with a "cloned" phone, which is also fantasy so far).

It's easy to bypass the pattern lock if the thief knows how. We even give a link to a site with instructions here for people who forget their own pattern lock, password or PIN (or a friend thinks it's funny to change it, then forgets it or won't tell them).

Go to the police and report it stolen. 1) It's a theft loss - deductible on your income tax return. 2) If you have insurance, they might want a copy of the police report to make sure you're not just trying to get a new phone for free. (When you report it to the police, you'll be required to press charges if they ever catch anyone with the phone in their possession - it's possession of stolen property. You wouldn't put yourself in that position if the phone wasn't really stolen.)

Then go to AT&T with the IMEI and tell them it was stolen. They'll block it from ever being used. (They might also want a copy of the police report.) If it's ever found and returned to you, getting AT&T to unblock it might be a hassle. Ask about that when you report it stolen - what do you do to get it unblocked if it's ever found - if you can?
    11-03-2014 10:49 PM