No matter what cord I hook it up to to charge, it pops up saying "USB connected" and continues to not charge. This happens with every charger even the original. I woke up one morning and it was doing this.
    11-03-2014 09:53 PM
    One or more of:

Defective cable.

Defective microUSB port.

Defective battery.

The USB connection consists of (at least - Samsung uses more) 4 wires, 2 for data and 2 for charging. If one of the charging wires isn't connected, or one of those pins on the microUSB connector in the phone, is disconnected, there's no charging voltage going to the phone. The data wires can still be good, giving you the "USB connected" message.

If it happens with different cables, it's either the battery (misusing a lithium battery can give you as little as 6 months of life) or the port (it's nice that the industry [Except for Apple] standardized on one port, but they chose about the worst one possible. Only 5 hair-thin wires soldered to tiny copper lands on the board hold the port in the phone. A few angled pushes and something breaks loose. They could have done a lot better if they spent less than the price of one flagship phone in designing a connector - which would have amounted to an added cost per phone of about 0.00000000001 cents.)

If you have a charger with at least 1 Amp output current, and the phone works with the charger plugged in and the battery out, I'd say it's the battery. Otherwise it's the port. You can buy the whole assembly - microUSB connector, PC board and cable - and just swap it out, if you're capable of working on tiny things carefully. I've seen them for the S4 on eBay for under $10. A good S4 battery is about $10 (Amazon).
    11-03-2014 10:22 PM