How do I get my Gmail to syncronize again?

troeva

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Gmail not syncronizing

Thanks, KCAndroid1!

I tried what you suggested - the cache was empty. Then I messed it up even more - I clicked on Clear data. So now the email does not open at all. I get a message "Waitng for sync... Your email will appear shortly." But it never did. Now what!? I tried turning on the automatic synchronisation - nothing changes. FB get synchronised no problem. It is just the gmail that is totally gone.

Original question:
After I tried to attach some large photos and e-mail them, the syncronization stopped. I read in a forum that I needed to delete large attachements, so I did. After it was moved to the recycle bin, the syncronization still wasn't working. So I tried to delete it from there, but I do not have a Delete forever button, only To inbox and Labels. So, stupidly I clicked on To inbox. Since then this mail is not found in any of the folders. But the synchronization is still not working.
Please, please help!!!

Last edited:

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gmail not syncronizing

Try settings,apps,gmail,clear cache. You might also check settings, accounts to see if things have synced. You may not find the missing email but it should go next time.
It can help to shrink large photos before sending with an app like Image Shrink.

Posted via the Android Central App

troeva

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, KCAndroid1!

I tried what you suggested - the cache was empty. Then I messed it up even more - I clicked on Clear data. So now the email does not open at all. I get a message "Waitng for sync... Your email will appear shortly." But it never did. Now what!? I tried turning on the automatic synchronisation - nothing changes. FB get synchronised no problem. It is just the gmail that is totally gone.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Not a crisis, just an annoyance. Your gmail should still be up there in the cloud - can you see it on your computer? It's just not appearing on the phone.

And you've clicked on settings-accounts-google-your email and looked at the list of items to sync and made sure gmail is checked?

If yes, then for some weird reason, it does not want to sync with this gmail account. Maybe something was corrupted with prior activity or attachments. Try deleting the account from your phone and re-entering it. If this is your only gmail account, the phone may not let you delete it, because an Android phone must have at least one google account. If so, create a new extra gmail account & delete the original (just from the phone). Then re-enter the original account and after it syncs, you can delete the extra account. I know this sounds cumbersome, but the alternative is a factory reset, which then requires you to set up everything again. But tat's not the end o the world either because all should be backed up.

troeva

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

in the Gmail apps
as to suggestion 1 - the gmail sync is checked
suggestion 2 - even with a second account, I can't delete the original one without doing the factory reset which I don't really want to do...
BTW, the new account does not sync either...

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Hmmmmmm. Any chance you're using two step notification or other things that would cause it not to accept your password? Go to your gmail through the phone's internet browser just to make sure your google account credentials do indeed work.

Have you tried a cache partition clear? Depends on the phone model exactly how, but you reboot into recovery mode and do it from there. It's easy and you don't otherwise lose settings or data.

This is probably more basic than what you've already done, but it's worth checking everything on Google's list here: https://support.google.com/mail/tro...en#ts=3258921,3259228,3258934,3258936,3258937.

All of this is an attempt to avoid a factory reset, but you may get there.

troeva

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

Getting frustrated with this...
1. no 2-step notification
2. gmail works perfectly well through the phone's browser
3. did all the things on the list - nothing
4. how do I reboot into recovery mode? sony ericsson...

thanks!