How much storage is needed for Kit Kat 4.4.2?

A

AC Question

How much storage is needed for Kit Kat 4.4.2.

I have a Hudl 2 and about 7GB of the 16GB of storage is used by Kit Kat. I have looked around for the specs and cannot find them so if someone knows where I can get the proper specs for disc space it would be good. The RAM requirements seem to be readily available but not the disc storage and I know there is probably some customisation by Tesco which will add to the base OS. According to Tesco the 7GB is correct - seems rather a lot to me. On that basis Kit Kat would not really operate on any device with 8GB of storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How much storage is needed for Kit Kat 4.4.2.

Welcome to Android Central! The OS itself usually takes up around 3 or 4 GB. But additional preinstalled bloatware can take up more. So the 7 GB of unusable space is probably OS plus bloatware.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Many recent (not current) phones with 16GB of storage came with about 8GB available to the user, the other 8GB taken up by KitKat, the kernel and other things installed by Google, the manufacturer and the carrier. KitKat is supposed to be a bit smaller so, ad B. Diddy said, it sounds about right. My phone (running 4.4.2) shows 6.03GB used by the system. (There are some other things using storage having to do with the kernel and the system.)

seBDea

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi there,

I have a phone that has 4 Gb total space. Initially the phone was running Android 4.2 but the producer also provided an image of Android 4.4 to update Android 4.2 if any of their clients want that. Therefore, I am running Android 4.4 (or at least that's what is saying on my phone). The only problem is that I only have 1Gb space free for me and any applications I want to install on my own. The most interesting fact is that the phone actually is showing me another partition of 1.78Gb free but inaccessible.

When I called the producer their answer is absolutely a bad joke, I quote: The Android and the pre-installed application took up to 3 Gb of 4Gb, therefore the 1 Gb is left for phone owner. OK. So what on earth is this (see screenshots)? I do not intend to root the phone as I will loose 5 years guarantee. Therefore, how much space KitKat is taken?

Screenshot_2015-02-05-13-23-43.png

Screenshot_2015-02-05-13-23-51.png

At this stage I cannot update some of my applications, Bitdefender being one of them.

Screenshot_2015-03-10-12-33-52.png

Therefore, is there any way I can prove that Android 4.4 is not taken so much space and that those 1.78Gb are still available for me, yet the producer refuses my access to them?

If need it I can provide a link to Android 4.4 image I have received from that producer in order to update from Android 4.2 to 4.4.

Synoptic 4

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
Me too. Asks too much for download

App is x MB but the OS asks for xxx MB always and wants to disable EVERYTHING, erase all apps, before downloading. So nothing can be installed together. But apks alone install well without asking for more space, only they have to be shared from another phone. Is there a fix?

Hi there,

I have a phone that has 4 Gb total space. Initially the phone was running Android 4.2 but the producer also provided an image of Android 4.4 to update Android 4.2 if any of their clients want that. Therefore, I am running Android 4.4 (or at least that's what is saying on my phone). The only problem is that I only have 1Gb space free for me and any applications I want to install on my own. The most interesting fact is that the phone actually is showing me another partition of 1.78Gb free but inaccessible.

When I called the producer their answer is absolutely a bad joke, I quote: The Android and the pre-installed application took up to 3 Gb of 4Gb, therefore the 1 Gb is left for phone owner. OK. So what on earth is this (see screenshots)? I do not intend to root the phone as I will loose 5 years guarantee. Therefore, how much space KitKat is taken?

View attachment 166583

View attachment 166584

At this stage I cannot update some of my applications, Bitdefender being one of them.

View attachment 166585

Therefore, is there any way I can prove that Android 4.4 is not taken so much space and that those 1.78Gb are still available for me, yet the producer refuses my access to them?

If need it I can provide a link to Android 4.4 image I have received from that producer in order to update from Android 4.2 to 4.4.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is a pretty old thread -- what device are you using, and which Android version is it running?

Remember that the size of an app's installation file is always going to be smaller than how much space it eventually needs on the phone's storage (just like on a Windows PC -- the .exe file is always smaller than the fully installed program). In addition to that, the system always needs a certain amount of free space as a buffer, which can be anywhere around 300 to 500 MB (it may depend on the device and how much storage it comes with).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Me too. Asks too much for download

App is x MB but the OS asks for xxx MB always and wants to disable EVERYTHING, erase all apps, before downloading. So nothing can be installed together. But apks alone install well without asking for more space, only they have to be shared from another phone. Is there a fix?
Which phone?
Welcome to AC!