I was trying to root my s3 from virgin mobile to recover files but while using odin 3.07 it failed and i disconnected and now my phone is on the firmware encountered a problem... you get the story. Well i now tried to flash a rom but it just fails and its really worrying me I just want my phone back to normal!! This is what Odin did.
    <ID:0/005> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> COMBINATION_L710VPAMD7_L710SPTAMD7_1154085_REV03_user_low_noship.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/005> Removed!!
    <ID:0/005> Added!!
    <ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
    <ID:0/005> File analysis..
    <ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/005> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/005> sbl1.mbn
    <ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/005> sbl2.mbn
    <ID:0/005> sbl3.mbn
    <ID:0/005> aboot.mbn
    <ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1
    11-06-2014 03:11 PM
    Looks like bad storage. The phone can't write the aboot to the phone. (I had that happen with a Note 3. Lucky for me it happened during an OTA update, so they had to replace the phone.)
    11-06-2014 05:19 PM
    ^ what he said. Idk on how to unroot but when I rooted mine I had no trouble. Though I do have 4.4.2 kitkat

Sent from my Rooted, Debloated GS3 using Tapatalk
    11-06-2014 06:26 PM
    Idk on how to unroot
    If you're running SuperSU, it's in Settings.
    11-06-2014 11:28 PM
    If you're running SuperSU, it's in Settings.
    Cool, i'll keep that in mind
    11-07-2014 02:29 PM
    Looks like bad storage. The phone can't write the aboot to the phone. (I had that happen with a Note 3. Lucky for me it happened during an OTA update, so they had to replace the phone.)
    My S3 did a soft brick boot loop while updating software. I am in the process of trying to recover data....I tried dr.phone..etc etc. Even adroid data recovery( requires root ). Plus not to mention my battery is messing up like 1% per minute, even after getting it functional. Also what hurts is that the S3 from Virgin came with droid 4.2- then updated to jellybean-4.3...then the latest- Kit kat. Jelly bean changed some things, but Kit kat to me in probably to hard for virgin mobiles firmware if not updated. I bet Virgin doesn't check their updates much either,idk. However, Kit kat has no USB Mass Storage Mode, unlike 4.3. I seen MTP and camera. If anyone can give data recovery software ideas besides dr.phone that does not need Mass Storage, that would be nice!
    To the OP- on my S3 for virgin mobile, odin was useless as a flash. Now mine was during a "Software Update." Virgin did not replace my phone...4 months after 1 year warranty. To me, the data is worth more than the phone. However, it becomes a point if you cannot get into the phone- data means nothing. I myself had someone try odin- even had my phone in odin mode. I first did Cache Patrition, then tried a reboot- an error message came up. Sound familiar? Problem with odin- you are not dealing with sprint- it's virgin mobile. So let's say you did root and flash, your phone may not be operational bc you used Sprint. Virgin mobile gets a little tricky. I can only go off of what 3 techs and others told me. I hold my degree in Biology lol. I even tried a factory reboot- nope didn't take. Flash? Nope didn't take. The only way it might take if you do a Sprint version, but your phone would be meaningless bc it's on virgin mobile network technically. So I hit everything in reboot mode..apply ABD etc etc. Nothing. I took it to a best buy, Samsung service reps, they tried loading and pushing software through...nothing. I called samsung..Virgin Mobile....of course each blamed the other. In my case, I got the "Software Update" notification about every 30 mins...AKA forcing me to dload it( as I ignored it bc I did not want to )......So NOTE THIS: I finally took it to a samsung service rep again, a supervisor was working. They pushed their software through, but in safe mode( other techs didn't....really? ). Anyway, my phone was back, except with Kit Kat on it and no USB mass storage. So I would give that a try. Make sure they push the latest- as your phone might need it- software update. Also in safe mode. However, you rooted your phone. Which in itself maybe a problem.
    12-17-2014 11:22 PM
    If anyone can give data recovery software ideas besides dr.phone that does not need Mass Storage, that would be nice!
    DiskDigger, if you're talking about deleted files. Or just adb shell, cd to where the files are and adb pull.

To me, the data is worth more than the phone.
    That's true of any computer, a $40 piece of junk phone or a million dollar supercomputer.

However, it becomes a point if you cannot get into the phone- data means nothing.
    Which is why all data that you don't want to lose should be backed up off-device.

I myself had someone try odin- even had my phone in odin mode. I first did Cache Patrition
    Which is temporary data. If you mean you wiped it, that has nothing to do with whether the ROM will work.

then tried a reboot- an error message came up. Sound familiar?
    Depends on the error message. (But do you mean reboot, as in restart [they're the same thing] or are you misuing the word to mean something else.

Problem with odin- you are not dealing with sprint- it's virgin mobile.
    According to everything I've been able to find, the Virgin L710 uses the Sprint ROM.

I hold my degree in Biology lol
    Mine's in electronic communications and computers.

I even tried a factory reboot- nope didn't take. Flash? Nope didn't take.
    Probably did. All factory restore does is remove all the personal data you entered and all the apps you downloaded. (Factory reboot? A reboot is a reboot - restarting the operating system - whether it's done in the factory or on your patio.)

The only way it might take if you do a Sprint version, but your phone would be meaningless bc it's on virgin mobile network technically.
    But on Sprint's towers. The difference is in who's Sprint's customer of record. In this case, Virgin is Sprint's customer. That's bookkeeping, the phone doesn't care about it.

Anyway, my phone was back, except with Kit Kat on it and no USB mass storage.
    KitKat doesn't have Mass Storage, it has MTP and PTP.
    12-18-2014 04:29 PM