How do I recover a deleted FAT32 picture file?

A

AC Question

Recovery of a deleted FAT32 picture file

Phone S3 I9300, Android ver. 4, 16 GB, no external SD. Phone do not have a designated drive. Cannot access internal memory with recovery tools without a drive designation. Problem: 2nd FAT32 Picture file deleted by mistake. Did not see it was an old one, automatically replacing the DCIM backed up and deleted. So, deleted once again!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Recovery of a deleted FAT32 picture file

Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by "automatically replacing the DCIM backed up and deleted"? Are you saying you tried restoring a folder after accidentally deleting that file? It's almost certainly unrecoverable, since you already started overwriting storage with other files. In order to recover a deleted file from Internal Storage, you'd have to root the phone and use a program like DiskDigger, PhotoRec, or Recuva--and even then, the odds are very low that you'd be successful.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Recovery of a deleted FAT32 picture file

Root the phone, then install Disk Digger - BEFORE you accidentally delete files. AS SOON as you delete the file, run Disk Digger. Every time you write to storage you run the risk of overwriting the picture. (I've used it to recover some pictures that I deliberately deleted to test it. It works - if you use it immediately.)