Why is my Droid Turbo randomly rebooting?

A

AC Question

I am on my second Turbo and both of them have experienced random reboots. I tried monitoring to figure out the cause and so far I cant determine.

It started rebooting today and this time (1 time out of 20) it gave a message: "“Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped” " before rebooting. But that message has only appeared the one time. All other times it just appears to freeze and then reboot itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am on my second Turbo and both of them have experienced random reboots. I tried monitoring to figure out the cause and so far I cant determine.

It started rebooting today and this time (1 time out of 20) it gave a message: "“Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped” " before rebooting. But that message has only appeared the one time. All other times it just appears to freeze and then reboot itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Does the rebooting happen after you install a particular app or service? I think this may be a problem with something installed since it's occurring with both devices.

Perform a factory reset and keep an eye on what you are installing. If it happens again try deleting the last app or service you installed and see if that helps.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Once I got the second device I tried to pay attention to the apps i was installing to see if that was it. I can figure it out. I guess a factory reset and then slowly one by one with app installs is what I need to do?

I just am not sure if I should try returning for yet a 3rd device or if it is safe to assume it is not the hardware but some type of software issue (app or OS related)

RT6

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
My Turbo is randomly rebooting as well. I haven't seen any errors, but the one thing I DID see was the prompt popped up to power down the phone. I canceled it 3 times before it rebooted on its own. So I'm wondering if perhaps there's not a hardware issue. I may try a factory reset and selectively reinstall apps, but I have a hard time believing its a software issue if the power off prompt is popping.

Posted via the Android Central App

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure about it being hardware. I am on my second device. And both the same. I did factory reset and am slowly installing apps. No reboots so far this weekend. So frustrating.

Last edited:

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I am beginning to think (through process of elimiation) it is related to wifi. It seems to always happen in my office connected to office wifi. But it never seems to happen outside of my office connected to other wifi. Very strange and frustrating.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I think it is directly related to my office Wifi and the specific routers. Thinking it is the apple airport router. It happens every time i am in my office and connected to that specific wireless router. How about you?

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I talked to VZW and the tier 2 rep confirmed rebooting is trending in Top 5 list of issues to-date. Motorola apparently working on a software patch to hopefully resolve this and a bunch of other reported issues. Fingers crossed. Rep said hopefully within 2 weeks.

TundraDome

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My Turbo has just incurred its first two random reboots. The first was yesterday at about 4 pm and the second today at about 4 pm. I installed two game apps (Asphalt 8 and Modern Combat) about four days ago. Maybe the the random reboots are related to the two recently installed apps; but reading this thread, I'm not so sure.

Ray Freundt

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine was fine for a week and after the first week it has been randomly rebooting for no reason. I cannot find any common reason at all. It happens on WiFi off WiFi. Boy I hope they get this resolved it is a PIA.

Paul2727

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
My new (Nov 24) Turbo is rebooting on various WiFi systems, with no games installed, and getting worse (more frequent reboots, one right after another). My downloaded apps are few, simple and very common. Last app was downloaded a week ago. Getting worse today for no known reason. No phone use today, received one phone call, and it rebooted 3 times during the phone call (had to call back 3 times)! Now it sits on my desk, repeatedly rebooting. This is BS. Going back to the Verizon store Friday.

Update: Safe mode helped a lot. Been stable since.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If, as gdflynn said, Verizon is working on a patch, all the posts and all the visits to Verizon will accomplish nothing, until they release the patch. Then everyone will be wondering why they got an update but nothing seems to have changed - except that, presto!, the phone will stop rebooting.

sodenk

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Received my Turbo 12/2. Started random rebooting about five days in. Followed your posts and read a patch was coming. Downloaded and installed patch Saturday. Was hopeful until the phone did a random reboot this morning (Sunday 12/14). Now I'm just not sure what to do. May give it a few more days before I contact Verizon.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
To those still having reboots, keep complaining to the carrier, and keep having the phone replaced. When it starts costing them real money, it'll be cheaper to put a few good software people on the problem than keep replacing phones.