Hi,

I've been looking into getting a used Android phone just to play around with. Basically I want to get something for around $100 or less and use it like an iPod Touch to test out Android apps.

First of all, it seems really weird to me that when I go to the website for Android Lollipop they don't acknowledge anywhere that it hasn't been released yet. No "coming soon" or "currently in beta". Why would you have this website for an OS version, and listing it as the latest in your navigation (the 3 dots in the upper right), without pointing out that pretty important detail?

Second, I don't understand the concept of having to wait for manufacturers and then specific carriers to support a specific model of an Android phone. Some people mention being able to upgrade the OS yourself, but will I still need to wait for a particular build to be available for my particular make/model of a phone? Will there be a period when not everything will function if that manufacturer/carrier doesn't officially support it yet? If so, do they release downloadable builds of the OS once they do officially support the hardware with an over-the-air update?

Ideally I could just upgrade my phone when Lollipop is available, without even putting a SIM card in there (I just want to use apps over wifi at home).
    11-07-2014 04:00 PM
    Second, I don't understand the concept of having to wait for manufacturers and then specific carriers to support a specific model of an Android phone.
    Google writes Android for the Nexus. The manufacturers have to adapt it to run on their specific hardware.

Will there be a period when not everything will function if that manufacturer/carrier doesn't officially support it yet?
    There will be nothing to put into the phone until the carrier releases their build. If you put, say, a Motorola Android Lollipop into a, say, Samsung phone, or a Samsung CDMA Lollipop into a Samsung GSM phone, you end up with a useless box of parts.

If so, do they release downloadable builds of the OS once they do officially support the hardware with an over-the-air update?
    No, the carrier sends the phone their version of the manufacturer's modification of that version of Android. Some people capture that downloaded file before it starts updating (because the last step in the update is to delete the downloaded update file) and post it for others to download.

Ideally I could just upgrade my phone when Lollipop is available, without even putting a SIM card in there (I just want to use apps over wifi at home).
    As long as you get the Lollipop file for your particular model phone - manufacturer and carrier. It's how I did my 4.4.2 update. (I refused to update until the update was rootable, so I had OTA updating disabled. My wife, who doesn't care about rooting, let her phone update over the air.)
    11-07-2014 04:38 PM