Do I need to keep my new Samsung Galaxy on charge for 18hrs once it has charged for the first time?

A

AC Question

Do I need to leave my Samsung Galaxy S 5 on the charger for 18hrs once it has charged for the first time?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Assume that the battery has been on the shelf for months, so condition it. That means fully charge it (it doesn't have to be 18 hours - the phone will tell you when the battery is fully charged), then use it without charging until the phone tells you to charge it. go through 3 cycles like that. After that, charge it when it's 40%-60% discharged. That will give you the longest life. (If you need more time than 60% of the battery's capacity gives you, don't keep using it until you drain it more - buy a spare battery. Regularly fully discharging a lithium battery is one of the worst things you can do to it. Leaving the phone in a hot car (or other place that you'd be uncomfortable in) is another.

If you ever plan on not using the battery for a while, let it run down to about 50% charge, remove it from the phone and put it away. When you start using it again (I'm talking months, not days), condition it again.

(You'll see comments that I'm wrong, but the battery in my V551, made around 2004, is still working fine.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay