Why won't my HTC Amaze charge?

A

AC Question

Help with my HTC Amaze

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and I'm hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on some issues I'm having with my HTC Amaze. I've had it for several years now, but it ended up needing a new battery. I got a new battery today and I'm still having the same problems. Wherever I try to charge it, it won't charge at all. The battery seems to lose power when it's plugged in, even though I don't use it while it's charging. I think it might be related to when I dropped the phone awhile back and possibly messed up the part that I plug the charger into because since then, it won't charge unless I wrap the cord around the phone a certain way. I'm not sure what else to do. Help!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help with my HTC Amaze

I haven't downloaded any new apps and I actually did a factory reset to see if that might help, but it didn't.

I missed one line last night: it won't charge unless I wrap the cord around the phone a certain way.

Have you tried a different cord? Otherwise the fall might have damaged the USB port on the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help with my HTC Amaze

it won't charge unless I wrap the cord around the phone a certain way.
You diagnosed the problem - one or both charging pins on the microUSB port are no longer connected. When you move the cord the right way the pins make a connection. And a little spark, which will eventually burn a hole in the board. Since the port is mounted directly on the motherboard in that phone, that would be an expensive repair, so find a shop that will resolder the port (or put in a new one - the part is about $5-$10, and the labor is the same for resoldering the old one or replacing it with a new one, so I'd get a new one) before you have to replace the motherboard (which can be close to $100 just for the part).