I have an AT&T Samsung S4. I am running 4.4.2. I had SuperSU and used it to unroot. I didn't use a custom ROM but installed and used Xposed Installer to make changes. I also deleted some of the bloatware. I keep getting notification that I have an update several times a day and that is why I unrooted. Most of the changes I made with Xposed Installer are still there. I also used Triangle Away but when I try to updated it downloads the updated then starts to install the reboots to show the Unlocked symbol and then reboots to my normal launcher without making the update. Any suggestions?
    11-08-2014 09:45 AM
    There are still things that the "official ROM checker" is finding before updating - and failing. Reflash the stock ROM and let it update.

(Back up all your apps and data first.)

If you're updating to 4.4.4, there's still (AFAIK) no way to root it without tripping Knox. (Which is why I won't update yet.)
    11-08-2014 12:54 PM
    This is the first time I rooted a device. Do I have to reflash the stock rom before I can do a factory reset. Thank you for your previous advice!
    11-08-2014 08:20 PM
    This is the first time I rooted a device. Do I have to reflash the stock rom before I can do a factory reset. Thank you for your previous advice!
    If the device was previously rooted, and the update fails around 25%, you have to flash the stock ROM.

You can do a factory reset at any time - it just removes anything you've added (it doesn't add back anything you've deleted), like your accounts, pictures, apps, etc. You don't have to do a factory reset to root. You don't have to flash a ROM to root. You just run whatever rooting method you have that will root that phone running that version of Android. (In some cases, it's as simple as installing an app and running it.)

The big question is why you're rooting a device if you haven't read enough to know why you want to root it - which would have given you all the information I just did. The ONLY things rooting gives you are 1) the ability to run apps that need root and 2) the ability to uninstall system apps. Those are the pros. The one con is that it gives you the ability to totally destroy the phone's ability to function. (You can easily remove Android and most of the Linux kernel if you're rooted - leaving you with a box of parts that draws current from the battery - like a light bulb that doesn't give off light when it's on. And that's about all it will do.) Oh - and rooting voids the warranty.
    11-08-2014 09:13 PM
    I rooted for both of your examples. I wanted to run apps that would only work rooted and I wanted to remove bloatware that sucked my battery. Unfortunately, the only way to get this information is look it up and hope it is correct or get the info from people who have done it before like you. My grandson told me how to root but I could not get in contact with him to answer these questions. I'm not technically illiterate. I have experimented with Unix and Linux on my PC, but I can't brick that. I would just rather learn from someone who has probably made the mistakes I want to avoid.Thanks again for the help.
    11-08-2014 10:06 PM
    I have experimented with Unix and Linux on my PC, but I can't brick that.
    Wanna bet? su rm /* /r /f Operating system? What operating system? But reloading Linux is simple. (Reloading Unix V5 wasn't on a lot of AT&T hardware.)

Thanks again for the help.
    You're welcome.
    11-09-2014 12:03 AM