Can I swap the motherboard of my Galaxy S4 to Retrieve Data?

A

AC Question

Question about swapping motherboards on Galaxy S4 to Retrieve Data

I broke my Galaxy S4, the screen is black and the touch feature doesn't work. I just filed a claim through insurance, and have a replacement phone on the way. My problem is, I can't access the data on my old phone, because it is locked. Even when connecting the phone to my PC, and using a program such as Kies, it won't allow me to do anything without unlocking the phone, which I can't do. I've been researching ways to retrieve the data, and the best option I have found is to remove the motherboard on my old phone, install it into the new phone when it arrives, retrieve all my data, and then put the motherboards back into their original phones. I am fairly tech savvy, and confident I can pull this off without causing any damage. My question is, will swapping the boards temporarily have any affect on anything long term? Will I have any problems with Verizon (my provider) or Asurion (the insurance company)? Probably a stupid question, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before doing this! Thank you!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Question about swapping motherboards on Galaxy S4 to Retrieve Data

1) Opening the phone that way voids the warranty (on the new one AND the old one, so Asurion will charge you for the replacement).

2) It would be easier, if you are going to open the phones, to unplug the screen cable from the motherboard on the new phone, plug it into the motherboard on the old phone and transfer the data using Kies. Then plug it back into the new phone, put the old one back together and send it back. (Since you'll be transferring the data on the computer, the awkward positioning of the phones won't matter, as long as you can press the screen on the new one's screen to allow Kies to connect.)

3) Go to a Verizon store that has a repair facility in the back and ask if they can transfer the data from the old phone to the new phone even if the old screen is shot. (I don't know which tool they use - some of them require access to the screen, others don't.) If they can, and you're nice, and you're willing to wait until they have a few minutes, they may do it for free. (If not, it shouldn't cost much.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci