I want to make an app that you can use the camera and accelerometer to do something like this: In a car, when the accelerometer senses that the car has stopped, it uses the camera to see when the light turned green and then it makes a loud beeping noise to tell you that the light changed. What would be the best way to do this? I can use java to make an app but I need some general instruction on how to do it.
    11-08-2014 03:04 PM
    There's not enough power in a cellphone to do a video analysis of a scene to find a traffic light. That's more than artificial intelligence 101, it's kind of advanced artificial intelligence. Where is the light? Left? Right? Overhead? Is it horizontal or vertical? Is that bright yellow light on a store behind the light a sign or the light?

Even a PC with a 4GHz quad core and 32GB of RAM would be pushed to the limit to figure that out - and it wouldn't be in real time, it would take a few minutes of processing at the very least. (Finding whether a grain of rice moving down a conveyer belt is broken at the kernel pocket is trivial by comparison.) And programming something like that - even though I've done quite a bit of "sight" processing - isn't something I'd want to do for a phone app. You're talking about many weeks of full-time work at least.

Start by working on something simple - like unlocking the bootloader on an AT&T or Verizon Note 3. (At least you'd win the prize money, which is in the thousands of dollars by now.) Or find a universal rooting exploit for Lollipop.
    11-08-2014 05:31 PM