Hi,
    can some please help me I am wondering what mobile phone devices can do Qi wireless charging and how it works?

thanks
    Jo
    11-10-2014 09:53 AM
    1) The charging pad sets up a high-frequency magnetic field in a coil. The phone has a module with a coil that receives power from that field if it's close enough. The power is used to charge the battery, the same way plugging in the charger would.

2) Any phone with a Qi back can be placed on a Qi charging pad. You can add a Qi receiver to any phone that has Qi charging points (even though it doesn't come with a back that has a Qi receiver).

List the phones you're interested in and someone can tell you if one or more comes with, or can be fitted with, a Qi receiver. Or look for a Qi receiver for that phone on Amazon. If someone sells one, it can be used. (IOW, my Note 3 doesn't come with a receiver, but I bought one for about $10 on Amazon and now it can be charged on any Qi charging pad.) Most of the high-end phones will most likely come with receivers from now on.
    11-10-2014 10:57 AM
    Thank you Rukbat, I was wondering if iPhones have it
    11-11-2014 03:02 AM
    Thank you Rukbat, I was wondering if iPhones have it
    No, they don't unless you add a case that would support it (if one is available)
    11-11-2014 08:45 AM
    thank you :-) is it compatible with Samsung's like the 4 or 5?
    11-11-2014 09:49 AM
    The S4 and S5 (and the Note 4) are Qi-receiver capable. (The receiver will be in the $10-$15 range.)

I don't think Apple has discovered Qi yet. (They're still trying to discover the 21st century.)
    11-11-2014 10:52 AM
    Honestly, I'd put my money toward a Droid Turbo or a Nexus 5/6 (depends on what carrier you're with) with Qi built-in. Look at the list of software Samsung adds, unless you NEED something on that list (and you may not if you considered Apple also), consider a phone that doesn't have all the added stuff which will save you space for adding apps and media. As a comparison, the 2014 Moto X has 12 GB free at first boot (16 GB is really 14.6 when you figure the binary-decimal conversion so it works out to ~2.5 GB for the base system), my Galaxy Note 10.1 lists the "system memory" (minimum amount of storage space required to run the system) as 6 GB, almost 3x what a "pure" device needs. Sure, somewhat apples/oranges as one is a tablet, but you get the idea.

For the very reason that she would NEVER use all the extras Samsung adds with their Touchwiz interface and apps (plus I didn't want to have to figure them out so I could teach them to her), I was able to convince my mom she didn't want a Samsung. The ONLY benefit a Samsung would have over a Droid Turbo or Nexus 6 is a removable battery, but then again if you considered an iPhone I guess that's not a huge concern for you either.
    11-11-2014 02:00 PM
    The ONLY benefit a Samsung would have over a Droid Turbo or Nexus 6 is a removable battery
    Which really matters when you run the device so that you need a new battery every 6-12 months, and it costs $80 to have someone install a $10 battery.

It's also a lot cheaper, in the case of catastrophic battery failure (ask Sony what THAT cost them) to replace the battery you threw out of the phone and watched burn, then to replace the whole phone after it melted into a pile of junk. (No, a burning battery isn't covered under the warranty, and it's incidental damage even if it were - they'd give you a new battery.)

And you don't get an S-Pen on a Droid or Nexus, something that gets more important as you get older.

Bloat? A debloated Samsung has as much free space as a Nexus with the same partitioning of the same amount of storage. (And I can run with 5 ROMs in the SD card, ready to swap in 5 minutes. I also can't brick the phone unless I try really hard. Even flashing a keyboard as the active ROM was just a little annoyance. Try that with a Nexus.)
    11-11-2014 05:51 PM
    11-11-2014 07:24 PM
    Thank you for your help guys I will have a think :-)
    11-12-2014 03:34 AM
    "Now, many of the phones on this list need special backplates in order to get wireless charging, including every Samsung on this list" isn't true. My Note 3 uses the stock backplate with a Qi charger receiver taped into it. It's no thicker with the receiver than without it (by eye and feel - I didn't use calipers on it), and it's sitting on a charging plate at the moment, being charged.
    11-12-2014 03:12 PM
    Samsung Galaxy Mega....
    08-18-2015 08:56 AM
    The s6 and note 5 and s6 edge+ have built in wireless charging

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-18-2015 09:26 AM
    The S4 and S5 (and the Note 4) are Qi-receiver capable. (The receiver will be in the $10-$15 range.)

I don't think Apple has discovered Qi yet. (They're still trying to discover the 21st century.)
    I was wondering if galaxy mega 2 can be support for wireless charger?
    06-07-2016 07:28 PM