S5 vs G3 ? Which one to buy ? TORN

amootpoint

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
G3 has everything going for it except the battery life. I had S2 before and its battery life was not so good. After waiting for so many years for upgrade, I want a phone with good battery life

S5 has 1080p which is good enough, is water proof, but G3 wins in other categories.

Carrier : AT&T

Would lollipop upgrade solve battery problems ?

(I am not a battery freak but I would like it to run atleast 1-1.5 days with heavy use)

Please help.

Tag : LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Last edited:

Akinpelu Tobi

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: S5 vs G3 ? Which one to buy ?

Both phones are great, having top features. If I were to buy one, I would go for G3, and as for battery issue, I don't mind buying extra battery. Thats would have been my choice, but any of them will do great.

amootpoint

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Changing gears a little bit. What is the cheapest way to get this phone ?

Amazon is selling for $0 with AT&T contract. I am on shraed data family plan with AT&T. It tells me that if I get on the contract then I will lose $25 discount that I get for using "shared data". What kind of logic is this ? I get on a 2 year "contract" with AT&T and on top of that lose my discount.

This is really stupid.

Kreativni Tim

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

G3 my definite choice. S5 owners started reporting a lot of problems, and one of them, the camera problem, even got recognized as the factory fault.
"Samsung has acknowledged the camera bug and advises anyone who suffers from it to call certain phone number. Verizon users can also contact support on Twitter." a quote from one site.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1.5 days of heavy use on a single charge? An iPhone 4. Androids don't really great battery life yet. (Because of what they do, and because that's how much charge a small lithium battery can hold.)

Eithe carry a spare battery (or 2) with you and swap at the 40% charge point (try not to discharge below that too often if you want the battery to last), or carry something like the ZeroLemon 10,000mAh external battery with you. (Or you can use a ZeroLemon 10,000mAh internal battery for the S3 or the 9,000mAh battery for the G3, if you don't mind a thicker phone.)

Choose the phone on the other specs (memory [RAM], storage, CPU speed, video, screen, etc.), not on the battery. Most Android phones last about 4-5 hours with heavy usage (like being on the phone almost constantly or watching videos almost constantly) and the stock battery.

G3 my definite choice. S5 owners started reporting a lot of problems, and one of them, the camera problem, even got recognized as the factory fault.
"Samsung has acknowledged the camera bug and advises anyone who suffers from it to call certain phone number. Verizon users can also contact support on Twitter." a quote from one site.
Kevin, that's not a point against them, it's a point for them. (You've never made a mistake?) They screwed up and instead of saying "Tough - buy an S6 when it comes out, we'll have fixed the bug", they're saying, "Oops, sorry - contact us and we'll fix it". I'm far more concerned with their "AT&T wants the phone so locked down that you hackers aren't going to get into this phone with a blowtorch" attitude. If they still have it when I buy my next phone, it won't be a Samsung (although I've had Samsungs for years). HTC has the right attitude - rooting or flashing a ROM don't void the warranty. I just hope they don't bend over for AT&T and Verizon.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had great battery on my g3. I was surprised to read people having a bad time so maybe it depends on device and reception but I made it to end of day with about 30% left with heavy use. I say g3. Great camera and I think it looks a lot better than the s5. Good luck!

Kreativni Tim

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

1.5 days of heavy use on a single charge? An iPhone 4. Androids don't really great battery life yet. (Because of what they do, and because that's how much charge a small lithium battery can hold.)

Eithe carry a spare battery (or 2) with you and swap at the 40% charge point (try not to discharge below that too often if you want the battery to last), or carry something like the ZeroLemon 10,000mAh external battery with you. (Or you can use a ZeroLemon 10,000mAh internal battery for the S3 or the 9,000mAh battery for the G3, if you don't mind a thicker phone.)

Choose the phone on the other specs (memory [RAM], storage, CPU speed, video, screen, etc.), not on the battery. Most Android phones last about 4-5 hours with heavy usage (like being on the phone almost constantly or watching videos almost constantly) and the stock battery.

Kevin, that's not a point against them, it's a point for them. (You've never made a mistake?) They screwed up and instead of saying "Tough - buy an S6 when it comes out, we'll have fixed the bug", they're saying, "Oops, sorry - contact us and we'll fix it". I'm far more concerned with their "AT&T wants the phone so locked down that you hackers aren't going to get into this phone with a blowtorch" attitude. If they still have it when I buy my next phone, it won't be a Samsung (although I've had Samsungs for years). HTC has the right attitude - rooting or flashing a ROM don't void the warranty. I just hope they don't bend over for AT&T and Verizon.

It is a point for the Samsung company, but should you put yourself into the situation of calling them and swithing phones, when you have been informed of possible factory fault, while there is another great phone you can choose and not have this kind of troubles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad