Why is my Samsung Galaxy S3 taking random photos without the camera app being open?

bamsennett

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 taking random photos without camera app being open

My girlfriend has a Samsung Galaxy S3 and she noticed a folder in the gallery called '100_CFV5' a few hours ago. I'm assuming the folder was created by the Camera FV-5 app, but the contents of the folder are very odd. They're photos that were definitely taken by her phone, but she doesn't recognise any of them, they're just photos of the TV and other random things like that taken on the 27th of October. That kind of freaked her out so she deleted the Camera app to be safe, but the photos keep appearing, slowly but surely. So then, she downloaded the 'ES File Explorer' app to have a better look through the phone, and started finding more random photos taken by the phone's camera. There is also completely random pictures on there that have probably come from the internet, but they're not thumbnails or image caches as far as I know, and they link to strange Korean websites and such.

It's really quite weird and creepy, should we be worried?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 taking random photos without camera app being open

Welcome to AC.☺

I wonder whether this is an effect of the permissions granted to a third-party app or apps. Can you think of any apps you may have on board that might be likely culprits? If it is that, Safe Mode would be worth considering as a diagnostic.

Also, a security app wouldn't go amiss if you're not using one already.

Posted via Android Central App

bamsennett

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the reply! It wouldn't surprise me if she had downloaded some dodgy apps on there, I'll have a look and keep safe mode in mind.

The phone is running AVG and CM Security, is it possible they might have missed a malicious app?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

^^^I think you'll be all right with those.

Posted via Android Central App