How do I recover lost Contacts and Dialer Shortcuts?

sdmc303

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
LOst Contacts and Dialer Shortcuts..

Hi there.

The other day I dragged my contacts shortcut up onto the info part and it then disappeared, forever.. I now have no way of accessing my contacts and my dialer/call logs.

I have downloaded a 3rd party contacts app, but it does not allow me to access my dialer \ call logs properly. And it doesn't allow me to edit my contacts in any way.

I have tried to find the apps in the app drawer but they are not there, for they are not apps, they are shortcuts. I have also tried to add the shortcuts but I can no longer see them as an option.

I am using a samsung Galaxy 2 with the latest version of android.
I have ADW launcher installed.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: LOst Contacts and Dialer Shortcuts..

I suspect you've made the dialer app hidden by accident. Try restoring your adw settings to default and see if the dialer app returns to the home screen or app drawer.

Also, when you say latest, is that KitKat (custom ROM) or that's available for the S2?

sdmc303

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Hi, thanks..

It is actually 4.1.2

I am trying to update it.

By reseting ADW, it did nothing.. The apps/shortcuts I am talking about are nowhere to be seen on my phone at all.. I have the text message shortcut still.. But no dialer, contacts book or call logs..

Any further suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Back up everything. Go to SamMobile Firmwares and download the ROM for your model S2 for your country/carrier. (You;ll have to create a free account.) Download Odin. Reflash the ROM. You should then have contacts, the phone dialer and the contacts shortcuts.

Reinstall ADW, reinstall your backup app (I recommend Helium) and restore all your apps and data. (Your contacts should all be Google contacts, so they'll sync from the site. If they aren't, you're going to lose the ones that aren't, since you can't export them without the Contacts app.)

Any apps that Helium can't back up (usually paid apps) you can download from the Play store again for free. The Play Stopre knows that the app was paid for for that account.

sdmc303

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I will attempt this.. but only if you are 100% sure there is no easier paths to take.. This sounds pretty full on.. Basically restoring the phone yeah?

sdmc303

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

So I opened that account with Samobile.. But when I go to search for my Device GT-19100 It does not show up..
Nor does my location etc.. as you suggested it would.. Some help please..

Much appreciated

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

i9100 (that's the model number) shows a whole list of countries and a few carriers (like Swisscom for Switzerland and Vodafone for Germany).

sdmc303

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Ok so I have downloaded the ROM and Odin..

I have manually backed up the data and files i want to keep, to my laptop..

I have all my contacts on my sim card.. ( I assume) I cant find any on the internal memory of the phone.. Right?

I assume I take the ROM files and Odin that I downloaded and copy them over to my internal memory of the device.. Then open them from the device itself right? Then this flashes the rom? Sorry i'm not to sure how all this works but I am keen to work it out..

Please some more direction?

Thanks so much for this.. It's been bugging me for weeks..

sdmc303

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Could I not just save everything I want to another hard drive ie: My MAcbook.. ?

Then just do a factory reset.. And start fresh with the phone? Downloading what apps i want again and adding my files back..

No?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I have all my contacts on my sim card.. ( I assume) I cant find any on the internal memory of the phone.. Right?
Wrong. look at a contact (select one) and see if the type (at the top) is SIM, Phone, Device or GMail. It should be GMail for all of them. for any that aren't GMail, for the moment SIM is okay too. (But remove the SIM before flashing the ROM.)

You won't find Phone contacts in the phone - they're in a database in the phone.

I assume I take the ROM files and Odin that I downloaded and copy them over to my internal memory of the device.. Then open them from the device itself right? Then this flashes the rom? Sorry i'm not to sure how all this works but I am keen to work it out..
In a computer, unzip the ROM file into a folder (if it's not already in the form of separate files). Run Odin on the computer. Turn the phone off. While holding the Volume Down and Home buttons, press the power button. Wait until you get the download screen. (I forget the S3 - if it says something like press Volume Down to restart normally, Volume Up to download, take the download choice.) Plug the phone into the computer. Wait until Odin recognizes it. (You'll get a little yellow or blue box in the top area with COM and a number when it does.)

Click the BL button. Find the BLxxx file and select it. Same with the AP button and the rest. (You may not have files for some of them. You probably won't have a PITxxx file.) Click Start. Wait until the phone restarts. (You'll see the progress in the box at the lower left in Odin as it reflashes the phone, then it'll hang for a minute, then restart.)

You can save to any computer you want, but there are some things you can't save - like Phone contacts. (Pretty much, any internal databases.) That's where Helium comes in. If you tell it to back up the apps too (not just the data) you won't have to download them all again. (BTW, you should make it a habit of backing up the phone any time you make a change or, if you make a lot of changes, at least once a week. What if you drop the phone and a truck rides over it? They can buy you a new phone, but they can't buy your data.)

A factory reset removes anything you've added - it doesn't add what you've removed. It's not really "reset", it's more like "remove my stuff".